Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sons of Anarchy 301 Review- That's Ma Boy

I recently received my first check for reviewing Mad Men over at TVFanatic. Now I will be getting paid to do it for my favorite drama on television? A joke right? Nope. I'm actually so legit now that I'm getting the first four eps of Sons of Anarchy on DVD to watch before they air? Pretty awesome.

Spoiler alert...Below are some thoughts on last night's season three premiere of Sons of Anarchy, 'So'. So watch the ep, cruise for some widows, then read what I had to say.

Jax- "I'm trying to find some kind of balance, Piney. The right thing for my family, the club. Every time I think maybe I'm headin' in the right direction, I end up in a place I never even knew could feel this bad. What did I do man?"

I opened my review with the fact that writing about Sons of Anarchy will make me anything but a critic. I enjoy the show too much to trash on it, as I do on a weekly basis with Hung. It's of my opinion that sometimes critics critique an episode merely because they're called critics. If a show is great, why not commend all of the things it does so well. Sure I will find things here and there on SoA to complain about. Although Katey Sagal put forth a fantastic performance last season, I would have loved to hate on her character if I were writing about the series a year ago. But why not celebrate all of the good that Kurt Sutter and company bring to the table week after week?

I enjoyed this third season premiere a good deal. It was slow and methodical at times, but every moment had me on the edge of my seat. I talked about all of the inner turmoil the characters were going through in my review, and it's a credit to how great these actors are that sometimes the moments of silence are just as intriguing as the fantastic dialog.

How about that ending though? I thought Half-Sack's wake was going to make a great ending to this first hour of the season, but then they one-upped everybody by having those drive-by shooters roll through. I was not expecting that at all. Hale has to be dead right? After getting run over by that van, his brains looked like they were ready to be served to Indiana Jones and company. Can't come back from that right? If he doesn't what does that do to the Charming Police Department? Is Unser back on top or do they bring in someone new that might be an adversary to SAMCRO?

It might not matter much because the crew is about ready to head to Ireland to get Jax's baby boy back. I'm only slightly worried that the change of scenery might have a negative effect on the show.

Although I know some of my readers have already checked out my review at TVFanatic. Feel free to head over and check it out again. Leave a comment saying how awesome I am (or the show if you prefer). Or just click the link to pump up the site views.

Sons of Anarchy 301 - 'So'
Review
Recap
Quotes

No comments:

Post a Comment