Friday, September 24, 2010

Community 201- Batman and Shaft

Spoiler alert...Below are some thoughts on last night's season two premiere of Community, "Anthropology 101". So watch the ep, save money on hats by wearing a yarmulke, then read what I had to say.

Jeff- "Why don't you take your cutesy, I can't tell life from tv, gimmick with you. You know it's very "season one."

First let us take a look at last night's ratings in the 8:00 PM time slot:

NBC- Community: 6.15 million
CBS- The Big Bang Theory: 13.95 million

What?!?! I don't understand what is wrong with tv viewers. I guess most people are morons. I mean some people eat blood sausage, so I guess watching a completely awful sitcom isn't that surprising. But watching instead of what I thought was the best comedic premiere of the season? Ridiculous.

When it was announced that BBT was coming over to Thursday nights, many a tv critic got worried that Community would be hurt because they had some crossover audience. At the time I thought this was crazy, and I was right. These two shows are so completely different, not the least of which being the Community is crazy good and Big Bang is awful. The fact that Community didn't lose any of its 6 million viewers from last year isn't surprising. That Big Bang continues to get 13 million, however, is.

At the risk of turning this entire post into a Big Bang bashing, I'd like to add that I viewed last night's premiere with the hopes that I was wrong about it when I shoved it aside after two episodes back in 2007. After Jim Parsons won the Emmy over the likes of Larry David, Steve Carrell and Alec Baldwin, and the critics didn't have a problem with it, I thought that maybe this show got a lot better. I was wrong. This season premiere was every bit as awful as the series premiere way back when.

And as I finally get to the subject, or what I set out to be the subject, of this post, I'll open with the fact that I'm really glad to have the Greendale Gang back in my life. Everyone of these characters returned in fine form, giving me a chuckle at one point or another.

I had some worries about the stunt casting of Betty White in this premiere. She has not been worthy of all of the ridiculous love in the past year, and I didn't want her to come in and cause a raucous for no other reason than having Betty White on Community. It's not only me: see this tweet by T-Time, "Just heard Betty White is going to Raven the season premiere of Community." Of course he's referring to Raven Simone destroying a recent episode of Sonny With A Chance, but in fact Betty White didn't.

The Community guys kept her in the background and didn't force her to make any jokes that would inevitably be less than funny. She didn't detract from the episode, but certainly didn't add anything to it. Thankfully with Jeff, Abed, Pierce and an ever improving Troy, we didn't need any extra humor.

With Abed continuing to go Uber-Meta, Pierece and Troy being completely oblivious, and Jeff basically hating everything this season should be just as good if not better than the first! Here's hoping.

1 comment:

  1. Big Bang Theory is an awesome show! But I like Community better. Because, well, did you SEE the premiere? That's what I call comedy.

    ReplyDelete