Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Lone Star 101- What About Bob?

Spoiler alert...Below are some thoughts on last night's series premiere of Lone Star. So watch the ep, put an elastic band around your second cell phone and wallet, then read what I had to say.

John Allen- "This is a house of cards. You don't get to live in it."

After reading and listening to previews upon previews of Lone Star from the likes of Alan Sepinwall and James Poniewozik, I kept getting the same thing: This premiere is great, but where do they go from here? After hearing that last night's episode had less than five million viewers, I realized they might not need to worry about that problem.

If Lone Star does stick around, I have high hopes. The premiere was great, but unlike the tv critics of the world, I think there's plenty of room to breathe in episodes to come. Why have I taken this stance? James Wolk. Tell me if I'm an idiot, but this guy seems great right? To me, he's a charming Coach Eric Taylor. Unlike Coach T, who I kind of like just because, Wolk's con man Bob Allen is a character I loved right out of the gates.

Bob is fantastic as a con man. Even his overbearing father thinks so; "I'd like to think that I've taught you everything you know, but son, you have moves that I have never seen before." We got to see Bob in action in this first episode, so it is easy to see how he's gotten himself into this predicament.

What makes Bob so easy to enjoy though, is this love that he has for the two ladies in his life. When prompted by the sexy stranger at his hotel to "Give me one good reason why we shouldn't continue this upstairs with more drinks and less clothes," the hopeless romantic simply replies "I can give you two." This is a love triangle like no other I tell you. He's in deep and I'm ridiculously interested to see how his two relationships play out.

Add the fact that he wants to stop being a con man and his father isn't at all happy about it, and you have a million different avenues to take these story lines in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment