Sunday, December 19, 2010

Sixth Day of TV Christmas- Six Deads a Walking

In a new tradition here at the Pool, as both a way of summing up the year in television and celebrating the holidays, we will be releasing the first Twelve Days of TV Christmas series leading up to the day where I hope to receive multiple DVD box sets of my favorite shows. Whereas the Poolies celebrate the best television of the season by a number of voters, the Twelve Days of Christmas is my attempt at giving credit to the top series of the year by me and only me. Having said that, a couple of my favorite shows have been left off the list for a multitude of reasons. In the case of Chuck and Justified, it's mostly because I couldn't fit them into a numbered slot as well as some others. With Sons or Always Sunny, I just wasn't as happy with their respective seasons in 2010. So without further ado, here is the Sixth Day of TV Christmas. Feel free to sing along.
On the sixth day of Christmas my tv gave to me...six deads a walking, five deeeaaad rapiiiiists, four ad partners, three Jo Bros, two Terriers, and a paper boss in Scranton, PA.

On day six of this TV Christmas season, we at the Pool recognize AMC's The Walking Dead. After absolutely bombing with Rubicon as the stations first attempt to add to its dynamic duo of Mad Men and Breaking Bad, they came through in spades with The Walking Dead. It was only a six episode first season, hence the "six deads a walking," but it was fantastic. From the start, this series had me hooked. The pilot was riveting, and the quality maintained throughout. Although Alan Sepinwall blatantly disagrees, I believe the short first season was a blessing in disguise. They were able to get their story across without any filler. As much as I would have loved to seen a 12 episode season, each of these six eps packed a punch, and I think we were better off because of it. The finale, in which the gang of Zombie killers came into the CDC building and then fled it, was a perfect example of where they could have dragged it out but didn't. Sepinwall wanted that episode to be extended to a about three or four eps. Really? You wanted them to sit around that cave for three episodes...doing what? They celebrated, they learned how the zombies are re-born, they got sad, and then the building blew up. All of which were done succinctly and beautifully. It was a great first season and I am definitely looking forward to the second.

No comments:

Post a Comment