Friday, December 17, 2010

Friday Night Lights 507- Gone Missing


Spoiler alert...Below are a few thoughts on this week's episode of Friday Night Lights, "Perfect Record". So watch the ep, protect your high school's football field from intruders for a while, then read what I have to say.

My least favorite thing about writing for TV Fanatic is that I hardly have time to blog about many of the other shows that I watch. With Sons over, and Chuck, One Tree Hill and the NBC comedies on winter break, I am free to get back to what I used to love doing on this blog...finding a couple random things from a given episode that got me fired up, and explaining what I loved or hated about them.

As good as Friday Night Lights is at dramatic moments and character stories, the series is almost as bad at continuity problems and holes out of left field. My gripe for this week is the situation with the good old Dillon Panthers. Now is it possible that J.D. McCoy could have been injured or transferred to another school? Sure. I do not think that was the story they were going for, but I'll buy it. The fact that they jumped right into this game with the Panthers and all of a sudden they have an African-American quarterback threw me through a loop. If J.D. is hurt or left, this should have been a bigger part of the plot. This kid was a huge antagonist in the past, and you just breeze past it. I know that you want to get as much Ormond Howard in every episode as possible - a point I'll get to next - but the Panther/Lion rivalry has to be more important than this episode portrayed. Hmmmm, where was Wade? You know the coach that the town of Dillon was up in arms over getting him in as the coach? Oh he's just not the coach anymore. Gone with J.D. And our old buddy Mac is the coach now?!?! How does this coaching change get glanced over? Who is watching this show and just says, "oh Mac is the coach now. Wade's gone. J.D. isn't playing. This isn't a big deal at all."?

Now back to the part of this week's FNL that wasn't making my brain all kooky. Cress Williams has just been killing it as Vince's dad, Ormond. This week was no different as he has quickly taken on the role of Cam Newton's father. I love it when television imitates life. That's how the saying goes right? He's definitely up to his old tricks, as he has Mrs. Howard falling for him again, Vince actually liking him, and putting Coach Taylor in his place. This is his boy! He'll do things the way he wants! And if he takes gifts from coaches and then tells Vince he has to go to Auburn, so be it! I'm sure this will only end badly for my man Ormond, but it's currently a fabulous ride. Coach Eric Taylor will probably get the last laugh, but if Cress Williams tells him how thing is going to go down one more time, I might lose it from how studly he is.

Friday Night Lights is off for a while and will return to finish its fifth and final season January 5 on DirecTV's 101 Network.

1 comment:

  1. seriously though - where the heck are the mccoys?

    ReplyDelete