Friday, January 22, 2010

Comedy Night Done (Almost) Right



You have not had one of your best seasons to date, you leave off the fall slate of episodes with a sub-par Christmas ep, you come back from a one month, 11 day layoff and you throw up over all your viewers show a clips episode? What is wrong with the people at The Office? Last night's two hours of comedy on NBC was great in my opinion except for the glaring whole from 9:00-9:30 when they decided to show mediocre what they thought were some great clips of Office past. What it did was simply get me angry at them and have a worse impression of how this season has gone so far. Is it now an inaccurate view of the sixth season? Maybe, but that's not gonna stop me from taking it out on the Scranton people come Poolies season.

Elsewhere on what is supposed to be Comedy Night Done Right, we had great showings from all three (a bit of a first). Between Pierce's fantastically timed gay jokes at Troy's dancing on Community, Andy Dwyer single-handedly making Parks and Rec a must-watch, and 30 Rock borrowing the fictitious curse word, "vondruke" from an old Will Ferrell SNL sketch it could have been a comedic night for the ages. But no. The people at The Office had to ruin it with the most fillerific of episodes I have seen in a good while.

As I re-watched Community trying to remember all of Pierce's fantastic quotes, I realized that this episode may have been Chevy Chase's best performance since Vegas Vacation. Truly fantastic. Did he say anything last night that wasn't hilarious? I don't think so.

Pierce Quotes

  • "You know when I was 30 people used to wish that I was dead to my face! That's called respect."
  • "That's ridiculous. Obviously it's a guy."
  • "Jerry Rice?? Ahh, I liked him."
  • "Tea for two? There are five people."
  • "Ohhh, plot twist."
  • "Culturally, it's unacceptable, but it's theatrical dynamite!"
  • "And such a creative way to tell the world you're gay."

No comments:

Post a Comment