Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Sunday Speculations- LD Happens to Enjoy Wearing Women's Panties

Mad Men
I've said it before, but I have finally turned a corner with the show that gets rave reviews. This week was the season three finale and it again didn't disappoint. The Sterling Cooper storyline is exactly the type of workplace plot that I can enjoy. Most of the garbage they pour in doesn't do it for me. But Don, Roger and Bert getting Lane to fire them so they can start over with a new company? Very enjoyable to watch. Gathering all of the members of the former Sterling Cooper that they wanted to bring along with them was classic, and as they started Sterling Cooper Draper Price in the confines of a New York City Hotel room, I only had one concern.

Knowing Mad Men the way I do, I would not be surprised if they skip ahead a bunch of time between the third and fourth seasons. We will come back and S-C-D-P will be a well oiled machine and we wouldn't have gotten to watch the whole first year of its existence. This group of people, trying to scrounge everything together in the first couple months of the new company, could be some of the best television Mad Men could put out. I just don't see that happening come season four.

Curb Your Enthusiasm
As we continue to get closer to the Seinfeld Reunion, which I realize will now only be two episodes worth, I am loving the Seinfeldless Curb so much. I wonder if the last two eps are going to ruin what has been a fantastic season. I'm left with three words/phrases from this week's ep...Officer Krupke, women's panties, lemonade. 'Nuff said.

Actually not enough. There is no way someone who is a cop with the name Krupke would not have been told about the West Side Story thing before. I love that LD is the type of guy that sees Office Krupke and then just starts singing the song to no end the rest of the episode.

Larry's frankness is easily his best quality. After sipping the lemonade that the children just charged him a dollar for, he just blurts out, "This is awful!" Later on the kids' mom confronts LD with "Some guy came over and started making fun of their lemonade...was that you per chance?" Larry firmly raises his hand and states that he was "Guilty." Second best "Guilty" I've ever heard (first was Ben Stiller in Starsky and Hutch).

As Jeff is relaying to LD the excuse he told Susie about why he had women's panties in his glove box, he is stone cold when he claims that "Larry likes wearing panties." He thinks this actually made sense as an excuse to his wife. The continuation of Jeff harping on Larry to think to himself, "I'm Larry David, and I happen to enjoy wearing women's panties" worked out fantastically in the end. LD's execution of that very same line, with his pants around his ankles, was fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment