Saturday, November 14, 2009

Something Really Stupid by Bill Simmons

Basically, he's played fewer than six quality seasons … but those seasons were so good, when you throw in three Super Bowl trips, the 1999 MVP, (potentially) four 4,000-yard seasons and whatever might happen in the next two or three years, he's a lock for the Hall of Fame. I have a feeling future generations will be confused, much like I'm confused every time I look at Joe Namath's stats. Has there ever been a more overrated legend? I know his knees went on him early, but he finished with 173 touchdowns, 220 interceptions and a 65.5 QB rating. He played in three playoff games total. His career record was 62-63-4. And he gets lumped in with Montana, Elway and everyone else? Really?

He has to be joking right? Has anyone ever lumped Joe Namath in with Montana and Elway? I've never heard it in my 24 years of life. It's not surprising to see that his stats are bad, because all I've ever heard about him was that he was a superstar in New York that was very charismatic. Never anything about him being a great quarterback. I put at least 20-25 quarterback ahead of him.

1 comment:

  1. I'd say he was really good for a short amount of time. He clearly doesn't belong in the conversation with Manning, Elway, etc. More like Kurt Warner, perhaps, although due to an early end rather than a late start. And much more famous, because of the charisma, and his part in one of the most important games of alltime.

    ReplyDelete