Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Bi-Monthly Power Rankings- Top Ten

Yes, it is that time again. It's time for the Quiet Pool Perspective's take on power rankings. Every two months, here at The Pool, we like to let you know what you should be watching on the small screen. Just like in sports, an opinionated take on what is the best of the best is great for television. It's too bad that Tim Goodman is the only other one out there that I know of that puts out Power Rankings. His come out weekly, or any week that he remembers to do it, and that's a bit much. Every couple of months, the television landscape changes here at The Pool, and therefore we now come out with our November Power Rankings. So go grab a couple of boat drinks, turn on some reggae, and take a look at what you should be watching.
Place. Show- (last time)...red=moving down, green=moving up

10. The Office- (12) Thursdays on NBC
I've written more about The Office than I could ever dream of, but of course I'm going to say a few things here. If anything, I'd say it has the highest floor of any comedy but Curb at this point. I'm never going to feel like an ep falls as flat on its face as say a Community or Mod Fam ep could. I know there are plenty of haters out there, but for me, Michael Scott is worth the price of admission every week.

9. Big Brother- (8) Summers on CBS
This season's disastrous season of Survivor should help prove that Big Brother is the superior reality series. It doesn't matter who the contestants are, the Big Bro environment creates much more excitement than randoms camping out in the woods. Give me three days a week during the summer and I'll give you a number nine ranking.

8. Modern Family- (4) Wednesdays on ABC
I wasn't expecting this big of a drop when I went into this month's rankings, but here you have it. The Dunphy clan has been better the past two weeks, but it wasn't a good start to the sophomore season at Modern Family. We actually got to the point where Jackie Boy said "next year Modern Family won't be funny at all." I think we jumped the gun a bit during that conversation, but we might be looking at a case where the first season was just something new and different. This season has been good, not great.
Nolan Gould as Luke Dunphy on Modern Family
7. Mad Men- (11) Sundays on AMC
I'm giving into the critical love. Mad Men does nothing but move up these charts. I can't think of a given moment when I have thought to myself that Mad Men is so good it needs to be ranked higher, but every time I get around to doing it, the show moves up. It's quality is undeniable even if it's entertainment has been questionable at times. This is definitely the type of show in which the longer it's on, the better it gets. To say that the first season of Mad Men was the best, is blasphemy. It is so subtle and in depth that we've needed the three seasons before this year to make this last one so much more enjoyable.

6. Community- (6) Thursdays on NBC
Although it's been a bit hit or miss in its second season, I feel good about calling it the second best comedy on tv right now. Community tries a bit too hard at times, taking the Zombie or Space episodes for example, but at its core it is great. It has great characters, great one liners, and a good amount of the time it's risks pay off. Last year's mafia and paint ball episodes are great examples of that. Troy Barnes is really coming into his own as one of my favorite characters on tv, which helps keep Community high in the power rankings.

5. Friday Night Lights- (5) Wednesdays on DirecTV
We still had some Riggins and Landry for the first episode of the season, but what's going to happen once they don't appear on a weekly basis? Am I supposed to put all my energy into caring about these new characters? A tough feat to achieve. And here is where I will lament about how awful Hasting Ruckle's shooting form was. This was quite possibly the worst form I have ever seen. This kid was supposed to be an all-star basketball player? How about you make him shoot it like a normal human being and don't worry if it goes in or not? He literally made Lucas Scott look like an All-American with how bad this was. I threw up every time I saw him for the rest of the episode.
Hastings Ruckle gladly joins the team on Friday Night Lights
4. Breaking Bad- (7) Sundays on AMC
When other claimed Breaking Bad was the best show on television back in the spring, I doubted them. With how sub-par most stuff has been this summer and fall, I'm seriously considering that to be a true statement. But then again, maybe it's just a case of absence making the heart grow fonder. I dream of the days when Walter White and Jesse Pinkman were hiding from Hank in an RV. It is extremely sad to think that it won't be until July before these guys are back in our lives.

3. Sons of Anarchy- (3) Tuesdays on FX
I wanted to move Sons down because I've been a bit disappointed with the season, and it's almost over, but then I realized that I don't look forward to any other show more than Sons. It has been a bit of a let down from season two, but it's hard to move it down this list given how good it can be.

2. Chuck- (1) Mondays on NBC
Chuck loses the title as my top show for the first time since taking the spot following the Lost retirement. It just hasn't been good enough to call it my favorite show at this point. I'm writing this on Monday afternoon, so if tonight's ep is as good as Dan Fienberg and Josh Schwartz both have claimed, I might be kicking myself.

1. Curb Your Enthusiasm- (2) Sundays on HBO
And the new champ is here. It has not been on in a while, but it remains the best comedy on tv. The winner of so many Poolie Awards last year, Curb is coming back in January and will surely knock it out of the park again. Let's face it, when have we been disappointed with anything Larry David has done?

No comments:

Post a Comment