Wednesday, March 31, 2010

V- Building an Army

Erica Evans- "She has my son. If I have to cross a line to blow that bitch out of the sky, I will."

ABC would really like one of its two new sci-fi action series to fill the void left by LOST next season. I don't think that Flash Forward will be back for a second season, let alone be able to fill that niche hole they thought it could. What gives V a much better chance at doing it? The same thing gravitated people towards LOST in the early going. There wasn't all of this massive plot twists and mythology when LOST began. It was about a bunch of characters stuck on an island that the audience grew to care about.

While watching tonight's return of V I realized that they were able to get me to care much more about Erica, Ryan, etc. in only four episodes than Flash Forward could get me to give a flying cuss about that main guy, his wife or that other dude. Sure some of the character development of V has been of the negative variety (wussy Tyler Evans and Father Jack) but at least they're making me have feelings for them. I could care less what happens to pregnant lesbian or beardy on Flash.

Maybe it's because of my affinity for Juliet from LOST, but I really want to see Erica do well. And if that means saving her terrible son from the clutches of the V spaceship than so be it. Her "She has my son. If I have to cross a line to blow that bitch out of the sky, I will" was a fantastic moment and I love seeing her get after it.

Now all this isn't without plenty of plot and action by these great characters. Erica is after all an FBI agent with a gang of resisters out to dismantle these pseudo friendly aliens inhabiting the Earth. Between the underground Fifth Column movement that has been set in stone years beforehand and the V's R6 DNA tagging system now put into place, there are plenty of story lines put into place to make you wonder what will happen next.

An added bonus? You get completely awesome scenes like Ryan rolling his eye back into his head, revealing that he has an evil snake like eye ball and admitting, "Yeah I'm one of them...but I'm not with them." Oh and when Anna decides she needs an army to combat the rebellion building on Earth, she simply finds the best physical specimen she can, consummates with him for about 20 seconds and then releases her teeth to devour the dude whole. Ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment