Wednesday, March 17, 2010

American Idol- Rolling Stones Gather No Votes

Crystal Bowersox- "I haven't thought that I had the competition at all...but thank you for saying it."

It is very weird to watch the last two performances of an episode of Idol and then go back to watch the first ten, but that's what I had to do tonight after coming home at 9:40.

Well Ellen was on her game tonight. As Pops pointed out to me, someone must have told her that if she didn't start being funny she was gonna get canned. That's not to say that she was laugh out loud, knee slapping hilarious tonight, but her witty comments were definitely an improvement on her awkward commentary during the semifinals.

Now let's get my favorite out of the way first so we can move onto the contestants that both me and Slezak are not biased in favor of. Crystal Bowersox absolutely killed it once again, this time changing You Can't Always Get What You Want to fit her style perfectly. Her little riffs, especially the talking piece in the middle, were great. She can do so many different thing vocally that it seems like she has been at the top of the charts for years.

Then we have the other three that were good tonight.

Didi Benami might have the best sound to her voice in the competition. Although her performance of Play With Fire wasn't out of the box vocally, she showed decent power and had great tone throughout. The anger she produced on her face as "Don't play with me" came out of her mouth was truly fantastic to see.

Lee DeWyze might continue to be David Cook Light, but I really don't care. I loved Cook's voice and I love Lee's. He changed Beast of Burden simply by putting his raspy voice on it and he did a great job with it.

While Siobhan Magnus's glory note was completely off tune and screechy at the end of Paint It Black, the final falsetto moment made up for it. Her vocal skill is definitely there, but tonight was not nearly as good as last week, I don't care what the judges tell me. Having said that, she gets the okay from me if only for letting us know that Cape Cod is "divided into towns."

Honestly I thought the rest were pretty bad. If I had to pick one to go home based on tonight it would be Lacey Brown. Her baby doll voice is losing its luster and her off tune singing is shining through. The worst part of her take on Ruby Tuesday was the way she changed such a great part of the song. When she sped up "still I'm gonna miss you" it killed me because it's such a great moment in the original song.

The rest of my bottom four would consist of Aaron Kelly, Casey James and Andrew Garcia. Aaron's place mostly has to do with my hatred for him, because I thought his Angie was serviceable tonight. Casey and Andrew on the other hand just blew up there. Casey obviously shouldn't do fast songs or use the electric guitar and his voice doesn't have the power or range to go far in this competition. Garcia, meanwhile, just obliterated Gimme Shelter. I was literally laughing during the entire performance at his attempt at the song. Strap the guitar back on and try to sing Straight Up every week buddy.

Michael Lynch, Paige Miles, Katie Stevens and Tim Urban were okay in my book this week. Lynch showed he obviously skills during Miss You, even if his confidence is turning into unbearable undeserved cockiness. Paige was way better than any of her other performances with Honky Tonk Woman, even if she is as bland as Lil Rounds. Katie finally picked a great song to showcase her big voice, but still didn't do much else with Wild Horses. Urban decided to dial back Under My Thumb into a reggae song which allowed him to not murder himself like he did with Apologize a few weeks ago. It was a weird choice but not a horrendous vocal so good decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment