Tuesday, March 2, 2010

American Idol- What's Goin' On, On the Balcony?

It is pretty bad when the highlight of the night has nothing to do with singing. As Jermaine Sellers was screeching his way through What's Goin' On, the camera panned up to the balcony where the rest of the guys were looking on. As most of them clapped and moved to the beat, Lee DeWyze did no such thing. He kept his hands on the railing and stood still with a glare that could kill. The dude is just chilling and getting ready for his performance.

Good thing he did because if he wasn't so focused, he might not have been the best of the night. He did, and he was. DeWyze's Lips of an Angel was good. The past two sentences are in and of themselves embarrassing. His good performance was the best of the night. That's because there were only a couple others that I would qualify as above average. DeWyze's voice has a great sound to it, as he is very David Cook-esque. He twisted up the song a bit, but not enough for the judges to rip him apart for it in all of their hypocritical madness.

These judges are really getting out of hand. Literally in back to back performances Randy said that he wanted contestants to change songs up and then wanted them to just sing the song as is. The worst part about this for me is that I really like Todrick Hall. He obviously did his research. He realized that the way to get ahead is to take a song and make it into your own a la Adam Lambert and Kris Allen of a year ago and David Cook and Blake Lewis before them. Although I, and I assume most of the audience still likes this tactic, the judges have now begun to hate every rearrangement. I thought Todrick's What's Love Got to Do With It showed a ridiculous amount of control, if it lacked in power. His falsetto is great and his whole vibe brings me back to 90s R&B and that is just gold to me. Maybe I just like this dude too much to be unbiased. Anyone think I'm absolutely wrong on this?

I guess Andrew Garcia was the only other one that I thought was above average, but I don't have many thoughts on his performance. It was just decent. A nice voice, but I think he missed his guitar. Alex Lambert, Michael Lynche and Tim Urban, yes Tim Urban, were all completely average and should make it through on their okay performances.

As mentioned earlier, Jermaine Seller screeched his way through the second half of his performance tonight. His first half was decent, but it was just a poor man's Marvin Gaye. Having said that, it still wasn't the worst of the night. Casey James also should stay another week even though he was absolutely horrid tonight. Does he know that this is Guitar Idol? Because his electric guitar riffs didn't help his performance at all! To me all it did was show how weak his voice actually is.

And the two I pick to go home this week are who T-time calls the second coming of Carmen Rasmussen and the dude Tyson will end up dating at some point in his life. Aaron Kelly's performance was probably not as horrible as Sellers or James, but I hate this kid more than anyone else. Throwing a country twang on The Temps' My Girl was absolutely the worst thing someone could do. Maybe I'm too big of a David Ruffin fan, but I think Leon was rolling over in his bed during that ridiculousness. John Park meanwhile, was just the most boring for the second straight week. This guy definitely has to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment