Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Greek- The Famous Clapper Caper

Beaver- "Then I didn't mean to sleep with your girlfriend, Bing!"

The most disappointing moment from last night's season finale of Greek? Cappie and Casey breaking up? Nope. Rusty's magnificent revenge plan being all about getting Calvin to be president of Omega Chi? Nope. JJ missing the Cyprus Rhodes crew in Myrtle Beach by only a couple days? Yes. Oh sure the Kappa Taus, Zeta Betas, etc. weren't there last night. And they probably weren't shooting on location in the South Carolina Spring Break destination, but that doesn't mean I can't rib JJ for missing out on all the Greek action.

In all seriousness, the most disappointing part was actually the fact that Rusty's evil revenge plan ended up being a stupid little plot made out to get Omega Chi and Kappa Tau as friend frats. You see, I've hate Russell Cartwright since this show first started. I gave him my first place vote for the Lily Finnerty Award for the Character I Love to Hate in a Comedy at last year's Poolies. I went into every episode of Greek knowing that I was going to cringe at everything the young college student did.

During last night's ep I realized that this guy was actually turning things around. For the past four or five episodes I didn't detest him more than everything in the world. I even started thinking that I disliked Calvin and Calvin's ridiculous gay partner more than Rusty. His normal idea to get revenge on the Omega Chis for getting some Kappa Taus expelled got him some points in my book.

Phase 1, phase 2, phase 3 all go according to plan and I'm thinking to myself "is Rusty actually being sweet right now?" You lose on purpose in the golf contest so that the Omegas get the party house in MB. You hire a fake mobster to kick them out of said party house. You make it look like you're paying off mobster so that they try to take back the house. All good. But when the cops that come to arrest the Omega Chis for throwing a party in a house that's not theirs, end up being fake I lost all the minute respect I had for Rusty.

You go through all of that so that Calvin can pretend to sweet talk his way into getting the Omega Chis out of trouble? And now the one or two dudes that see him do this say that they'll vote for him in the presidential election? Wow what an awesome plan. There was no other way to get this done? In the words of Lee Giordano, I doubt that! You could have gotten some Omegas kicked out of school, gotten their charter taken away, but no you want the two frats to be friends with each other. What a bunch of pansies. How did Cappie go along with this? Disappointment inevitably ensues.

This worthless revenge plot by Rusty reminded me of the fantastic moment in Saved by the Bell: College Years when Mike Rogers explains that he concocted the best frat prank ever back when he was in school. He took the clapper out of the bell on top of the school so that when someone went up there to ring the bell..."There was nothing! No sound!" Hilarious moment because Zack, Slater and the gang all made fun of him for it. Unlike here where everyone congratulated Rusty for his useless prank.

Other Points

- Cappie and Casey's break-up was extremely anti-climactic. We all saw this coming a mile away. What happens form here on out? I always wanted the show to end with them getting together, but now that we've seen them together I don't know if that's really that sweet anymore.

- This summer will be the next and final season of the college dramedy. What can they do with another 10-12 episodes. I did hear that they're bringing Franny and Casey's nerd ex-bf back so there should be a couple stories there, but I think this should've been the last one.

- Dale and Beaver obviously killed it again this week. The Beav's quote at the top in response to Evan saying that they didn't mean to get the Kappa Taus expelled from school, was the highlight of the ep.

- Check that. It might have actually been when a drunken Dale asked "who ordered the fat, ugly strippers?" when the fake cops rolled through the party house.

No comments:

Post a Comment