Tuesday, March 23, 2010

American Idol- He's a No Soul Man

Simon Cowell- "You sucked the soul out of that song."

And that quote, in a nutshell, explains what has happened to Andrew Garcia since the first week of the semifinals. After completely killing Paula Abdul's Straight Up during Hollywood Week, Garcia came back with a similar acoustic rearrangement to Fall Out Boy's Sugar We're Goin' Down. I thought it was a great performance, if not up to par with the ex-judge cover. The judges, on the other hand, destroyed it and did so again the next week.

They pushed him to do different things, and he began shying away from acoustic rearrangements, and completely lost his guitar for the next three weeks. It was these empty performances that have Andrew on the verge of being ousted before the top 10. He sucked the soul out of the performances because the judges gave him horrible advice for many, many weeks. Don't get me wrong, it's Andrew's fault for listening to these yahoos, but I still place most of the blame on the fabulous four behind the table.

Garcia took on Marvin Gaye's I Heard it Through the Grapevine during Billboard Number Ones week and failed to show any type of improvement. My girl Miley Cyrus helped Andrew out the door by telling him to drop the guitar during her mentor session. We all know that Miley is a comic genius, but her skills as an Idol mentor were less than stellar tonight. My prediction is that Garcia goes home this week.

Andrew definitely wasn't the worst this week. That's why he will be joined in the bottom three by Paige Miles and Tim Urban. They were by far the two worst of the night. Seriously Paige's Against All Odds was one of the worst vocals I've ever heard on the show. Urban was equally as awful during Crazy Little Thing Called Love if only for his horrendous slide across the stage (and complete lack of vocal ability).

Out with the bad, in with the good. The one that Pops affectionately calls "Boxer shorts" was once again the best of the night. Crystal Bowersox did Me and Bobby McGee miles better than Janis Joplin. I had actually never heard it before (crazy I know because I like old music), so I YouTubed it and watched how it wasn't even close to how unbelievable MamaSox was tonight. She is on another level right now people. And what's this? She claims that she's "got big plans for next week." Oh boy.

The other three I liked tonight were (in order) Didi Benami, Lee DeWyze and Mike Lynch. I really don't get what the judges didn't like about Didi tonight. She was theatrical? Isn't that what you praised Adam for last year? And Siobhan as recently as last week? And Didi wasn't even as over the top as them. I loved her performance of You're No Good and judges can't stop me from voting (even though I don't).

I thought Lee wasn't good when he went first, but after watching everyone else be worse, he got better and better as the night went on. He wasn't as good as other weeks, mainly because his rendition of The Letter just didn't feel like him, but the sound of his voice makes up for that.

Will Kieffer's black cousin, or Big Mike Lynch as the Idol faithful like to call him, recorded another fantastic vocal performance this week. His When a Man Loves a Woman even reduced many of his over confident gestures that had me hating him last week.

Katie Stevens and Aaron Kelly both scraped by and really give me nothing to say about them. The other two mediocre performances of the week came from Casey James and Siobhan Magnus. It's pretty difficult to not get me to love the Back to the Future song, but that's exactly what Casey did with Power of Love. He's just so boring and robotic. Power of Love? How about a little power of voice Mr. James. 'Cause you haven't shown any.

And finally we get to the judges favorite who is starting to really irk me. This week she chose one of the most repetitive, boring songs out there in Stevie's Superstition. Note to Siobhan: You can't half ass your way through the entire song and then just scream at the top of your lungs at the end and think you're gonna win me over. It's not only predictable, but really annoying to watch at this point.

2 comments:

  1. to be fair, i could sing that song better than janis joplin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a solid point, but no one could do it better than bowersox.

    ReplyDelete