Wednesday, March 31, 2010

American Idol- Don't Treat Lee Like a Lady

Simon Cowell- "Watch the show back and realize this is the night your life may have changed forever."

Sure MamaSox was the best of the night by a mile and she continues to have wow moments week in and week out, but let's take a week off from the Crystal Bowersox show to focus on some dudes that made Idol watchable through an entire episode again.

As Simon said at the top, this was a great week for Lee DeWyze. The cool, quiet one took an oldy but a goody and turned it into a contemporary gem. The Cornelius Brothers' Treat Her Like a Lady is well known by most and because of the great sound to his voice, he was able to flip the song on its head without changing it up to much.

Obviously Andrew Garcia took my advice from last week. Thanks for reading Andrew. He cut all this crap about doing different things and got back to his bread and butter. Acoustic rearrangements of popular songs. Of course this wasn't as good as Straight Up, but he's back on the right track. The judges praised him for getting back to who he is even though they are the ones who told him to go away from this style a few weeks back. Once again, you guys are morons.

Big Michael Lynche gave us a big cheeseburger with no cheese this week. The corny winks and movements were to a minimum because of the soft and tenderness of the song he chose. What shined through? His fantastic vocal ability. He's not my cup of tea, compared to Lee or Andrew, but there's no arguing that he's pitch perfect every week.

Two girls that I liked tonight. Of course my MamaSox, whose big surprise was playing the piano. Although she had to concentrate on looking at the keys, it didn't take away from her fantastic performance. When she stood up and the song picked up, I think all 30 million people watching smiled along with the dreadlocked queen. And shoot me but I liked Didi Benami once again. She wasn't as good as the past two weeks, and I wish she had slowed the tempo down a bit, but her voice is so unique that I love it every time.

Here's my bottom three for the week. Now obviously this isn't who will be in the actual bottom three, because both Siobhan Magnus and Aaron Kelly have big fan bases already, but my worst three performances of the night belong to the glass blower, the tiny loser and Mr. Smiley Tim Urban.

As JJ tweeted last night, "finally someone puts magnus in her place." Now unlike JJ, I've liked her in the past, but last week's Superstition was annoying and this week's Through the Fire was flat out terrible. Her lower register sounded awful and when she went up higher with the "through the fire" lyric I wanted to pull my ears off. El Pres over at Barstool simply posted, "Siobhan just ruined my vacation and I haven't even left yet."

Tim Urban and Aaron Kelly are just self explanatory. Neither one can sing. They both use a disgusting amount of vibrato. Kelly chose Ain't No Sunshine, which might have been Kris Allen's signature from last year, and it was so bad I don't even know if it can qualify as the same song. Urban is just so bad he's not worth talking about. Simon did his annual "oh it doesn't matter what we say anymore because they're gonna vote you through anyway" thing which was a great jinx and I think Urban goes home tonight.

That leaves me with only two performances that I neither liked or hated. Katie Stevens was once again blahh, but her vocals are always decent. She's a good singer just not an artist in any sense of the word. Casey James is just so uneventful. Kara was absolutely correct wrong when she said, "I think you've got more range in you." That's the main thing holding him back. He has no range and it shows in every flatline performance he gives us.

My order of the night
1. Crystal Bowersox
2. Lee DeWyze
3. Andrew Garcia
4. Michael Lynche
5. Didi Benami
6. Casey James
7. Katie Stevens
8. Aaron Kelly
9. Siobhan Magnus
10. Tim Urban

No comments:

Post a Comment