Monday, August 29, 2011

2011-12 Season Outlook- ABC

Here at the Quiet Pool Perspective we like to give you a head start on figuring out what to watch heading into a new television season. Although we aren't cool enough to get all of the pilots in advanced, we have seen each and every trailer, have done the research, and have listened to what the critics are saying about all of the new shows for the 2011-12 season. So below are some my opinions on what should be watch, as well as some early insight on what I will be watching this year.
Here’s what’s new on ABC...

A Quick Look

Excited For
  1. Once Upon a Time
  2. The River
Interested In
  3. Revenge
  4. Last Man Standing
  5. Pan Am
Holding Out Hope For
  6. Suburgatory
  7. Charlie’s Angels
  8. Apartment 23
Passaroo
  9. Man Up
  10. Good Christian Belles

And Some More Depth

Once Upon a Time
Once Upon a Time – Sunday – 8:00 p.m.
Need to Know: One of two fairy tale shows premiering this season. The characters live two lives; one in reality and one in fairy tale land. This comes to us from a couple writers from Lost not named Damon and Carlton. It stars Dr. Cameron from House.
Quiet Pool Plan: I will be watching this one throughout its run. Between the material, the writers and the leading lady, I’m in it for the long haul…and you should be too.

Pan Am – Sunday – 10:00 p.m.
Need to Know: It is the flight attendants from Pan Am in the 1960s, but with some sort of conspiracy added on to the drama. This is again one of two shows doing the same thing, this time it is trying to cash in on Mad Men’s success by setting itself up in the 60s. Tommy Schlamme of West Wing, Sports Night and Studio 60 fame is one of the creators. Christina Ricci, whose claim to fame is having her name said by Annie Edison in an episode of Community, will star.
Quiet Pool Plan: I will be checking this out, which can be said for most new series, but I have decently high hopes for the drama. If I’m choosing between this and NBC’s The Plaboy Club, it will be the latter.

Last Man Standing – Tuesday – 8:00 p.m.
Need to Know: @HitFixDaniel put it best as Home Improvement, but with daughters. I will give Tim Allen the benefit of the doubt for what he has given me during three Santa Clauses and three Toy Stories. The creator of this sitcom comes from the 30 Rock writing room, which is a good sign. Also stars the lady from So I Married an Axe Murderer, Billy Rosewood’s partner from Beverly Hills Cop 3, and little Loretta from this past season of Justified.
Quiet Pool Plan: This may be my new Gary Unmarried. I don’t expect intelligence from it, but I’m sure I will laugh at Tim Allen a bit, and I have ties to most of the supporting cast, so I will stick with it for at least half a season.

Man Up – Tuesday – 8:30 p.m.
Need to Know: Sitcom by an unknown starring a bunch of unknowns, Teri Polo and the guy from Balls of Fury. Trailer looks really dumb.  I think the guys play a lot of online video games.
Quiet Pool Plan: I will try to watch the first episode, but will most likely stop there. No desire here.

Apartment 23 – Tuesday – Spring
Need to Know: I guess this is a sitcom, but the trailer could fool you. It doesn’t look all that funny, and I have never enjoyed Krysten Ritter, who is one of the leads. Also, James Van Der Beek plays himself, which is interesting.
Quiet Pool Plan: I will re-evaluate come mid-season, but I will probably try a couple episodes and then bail if it’s not working for me.

Suburgatory – Wednesday – 8:30 p.m.
Need to Know: A sitcom about a chick that moves from NYC to the suburbs, and it’s really hard for her.  Chris Parnell, Larry David’s wife, Steve the Pirate, Lloyd from Entourage, and that guy who left his Cranberries CD in the car from Clueless star in the trailer.
Quiet Pool Plan: This is just weird enough to be interesting.  Plus, I like the cast, which can make up for a shaky start…I will give this a shot for a few weeks. If it’s too weird and not funny, then I’ll stop.

Emily Van Camp in Revenge
Revenge – Wednesday – 10:00 p.m.
Need to Know: Emily Van Camp. Emily Van Camp. Emily Van Camp. That’s all I need to know, but if you never saw Brothers and Sisters or Everwood, you won’t know what I’m talking about. This seems like an adult Gossip Girl in the Hamptons starring Emily Van Camp trying to get revenge on someone.
Quiet Pool Plan: I will come for Emily, I will most likely get sucked in by the plot twists and rich lifestyle.

Charlie’s Angels – Thursday – 8:00 p.m.
Need to Know: A remake of the original. Or is it of the more recent movies? Not sure, but it stars Minka Kelly and two other attractive ladies.
Quiet Pool Plan: I’ll watch the first episode and probably stop…unless Minka Kelly looks too good to quit.

Good Christian Belles - Not Sure
Need to Know: Ricky Bobby's wife plays a woman that returns to her hometown of Dallas in this dramedy.  Kristin Chenowith also stars.
Quiet Pool Plan: Not even attempting this one.

The River - Not Sure
Need to Know: This is a late addition, because it wasn't on the 2011-12 schedule on Wikipedia.  It's labeled as a paranormal/horror/thriller series.  It's about a group of people that are searching for a famous tv reporter who went missing somewhere on the Amazon.  It stars Teri Bauer and Steven Saunders from 24.
Quiet Pool Plan: Absolutely.

Don't Forget, there is plenty of great television returning to the screen this season.  Here are some of our favorites on ABC...

1. Modern Family – Wednesday – 9:00 p.m.
2. Happy Endings – Wednesday – 9:30 p.m.
3. Cougar Town – Tuesday – 9:00 p.m.
4. Bachelor Pad – Monday – 8:00 p.m.
5. Grey’s Anatomy – Thursday – 9:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment