Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Emmy Outlook- Supporting in Comedy

Although the Poolies are much more important around here - and should be everywhere - as a television blog, we at the Quiet Pool Perspective have decided to talk a bit about the 2011 Emmys. With nominations set to be announced on July 14th, I will be going through the major categories over the next couple of days to give my ballot and my prediction. My Ballot is what I would have as my six nominees if I were eligible to vote on such things. My prediction is what I expect to be announced come July 14th. As a caveat, I will not be predicting guest actor and actresses, because that would be ridiculously difficult.
Supporting Actor in a Comedy

Paul Scheer
My Ballot
Fred Armisen - Saturday Night Live
Ty Burrell - Modern Family
Chevy Chase - Community
Donald Glover - Community
B.J. Novak - The Office
Paul Scheer - The League

Burrell and Glover need no more commentary on how funny they are in their respective shows. Chase made the cut for his performances in the Dungeons and Dragons and Paintball episodes alone..."Tonight, we feast!" While Novak isn't given much to do on The Office, what he did do was fantastic this season. With a fantastic ensemble, Scheer slightly edged out Jon Lajoie for my favorite performance from The League.  Armisen's Wizard of Oz and The Sound of Music sketches were my two favorites of the season, and the Wizard of Oz shot into my top SNL skits of all time.  He deserves credit more than anyone on SNL in a long time.

Burrell and O'Neill
Prediction
Ty Burrell - Modern Family
Chris Colfer - Glee
Jon Cryer - Two and a Half Men
Neil Patrick Harris - How I Met Your Mother
Ed O’Neill - Modern Family
Eric Stonestreet - Modern Family

I'm not going too far outside the box with this one, as my prediction only differs from last year's nominees by one person. I switched in Ed O'Neill for Jesse Tyler Ferguson from Modern Family. While I enjoyed Ferguson's Mitchell much more in season two, I know the academy is going to give O'Neill the well deserved nomination he should have gotten last year. I wanted to take Cryer out, but with all that went down with Charlie Sheen, I don't see them piling it on Cryer by pulling the plug on his streak of nominations.

Supporting Actress in a Comedy

Busy Phillips
My Ballot
Alison Brie - Community
Mary Elizabeth Ellis - Perfect Couples
Ellie Kemper - The Office
Heather Morris - Glee
Busy Phillips - Cougar Town
Sofia Vergara - Modern Family

The ballot I would put out is severely different than what is actually going to happen, and the only actress that matches my prediction, made my list by the skin of her Colombian teeth. Of course Ellie Kemper will never get any love from the Emmys, but her two straight Poolies prove how funny she can be. Brie was solid again this season of Community, while Ellis was the best of the three-headed female monster that was Perfect Couples. Heather Morris and Busy Phillips are both hilarious at playing dumb, but they do it in very different ways.

Betty White
Prediction
Julie Bowen - Modern Family
Jane Krakowski - 30 Rock
Jane Lynch - Glee
Sofia Vergara - Modern Family
Betty White - Hot In Cleveland
Kristen Wiig - Saturday Night Live

Here is where things get interesting. Anyone who thinks Betty White's reign of terror is over, think again. She will be nominated for an Emmy for the God awful Hot in Cleveland, I won't be surprised if she wins this thing come September. Again I only made one switch from last year, and that was White for Evelyn Taylor of Two and a Half Men. Although Wiig had a horrible year on SNL, her now movie star status should grant her another year on the ballot.

No comments:

Post a Comment