Sunday, July 3, 2011

Bi-Monthly Power Rankings- Honorable Mentions

It is a sad day when the Poolie Awards are all over, but look at the bright side, there are always the Bi-Monthly Power Rankings to look forward to! The July edition is here to tell you what shows currently on the air you should be tuning in to see. Take a look and then turn on your tv.
Show (Last Time) red = moving down, green = moving up

The Challenge: Rivals (-) Thursdays on MTV
It's Big Brother with less strategy and a lot more fighting. I've never watched The Challenge before, I've never seen Road Rules, and I haven't watched Real World since Tech in Hawaii back in '99, but Jacoby's love for this show has me on board for the summer.  UPDATE: After watching this past week's episode, I am out.  Not enough substance and too much bickering.  I knew there was a reason I stopped watching Real World.

Noah Wyle on Falling Skies
Falling Skies (-) Sundays on TNT
The third episode (fourth hour) of Falling Skies airs tonight, and I am a bit shakier on the series than I thought I would be. I loved it after the two hour premiere, but I wasn't too thrilled with last week's installment. They need to continue to give Jesse from Hannah Montana a larger role, and they should do just fine.

Franklin and Bash (-) Wednesdays on TNT
I will never complain about Zack Morris being back on television. I'm just surprised that I never checked out Raising the Bar. As Peter Bash, Mark Paul Gossawhatever seems to playing a very Zack Morrissey character. He's been pretty darn funny so far, so I am down to watch it during the summer when much less television is on. If it were on in the fall, episodes would probably start to stack on top of each other, un-watched.

Good Luck Charlie (-) Sundays on Disney
With Hannah Montana and Jonas ending their runs, and Sonny With a Chance turning into the Gawd Awfulll sketch show So Random, Good Luck Charlie has become the best show on Disney. Little Charlie Duncan is easily the cutest character on television since Michelle Tanner, and it's a joy to watch the family around her every Sunday.

The Killing (HM) Sundays on AMC
I feel like everyone and their brother has written something about The Killing as of late. My biggest problem with The Killing is that its horrendous finale is overshadowing just how awful this show was on the whole. Yes it was ridiculous that we didn't find out who killed Rosie by the end of the first season, but that was just another notch on The Killing's belt of terrible moves. It was a 13 episode CSI story that bored audiences to death in the process. The lead characters were impossible to enjoy and after their first couple of leads on who the killer was, it was obvious that it wasn't going to be any of them. It wasn't the typical procedural format, but it certainly had an obvious format of its own. Introduce someone who might be the killer, have the cops investigate it for a while, then find out it's not the killer. There is so much more to say, but you have heard it all before. The saddest thing of it all though, is that I will probably be tuning in to season two just to see how bad it can get.

Love Bites (-) Thursdays on NBC
For some strange reason, I've been enjoying this Love Actually-esque drama series. Maybe it's because I'm a sap, or maybe it's because I like the idea of introducing brand new stories and characters each and every week, but I'm tuning in with interest on Thursdays this summer.

Annie (right) on Treme
Treme (16) Sundays on HBO
This second season of Treme has been an extreme disappointment so far. I understand that their were many of my fellow Poolies that bowed out early because it didn't bring much to the table, but there was a lot in season one that gave me hope. Season two leaves me with very little hope, and I haven't been all that entertained in the process. Granted I am a couple episodes behind, but nothing seems to be happening. There is a difference between letting a story build, and just bringing it nowhere. My theory for this is that the great The Wire mastermind has taken more of a backseat this time around. In season one he had his name on seven of the ten episodes. Through the first ten of season two, he has it on only four.

True Blood (-) Sundays on HBO
I have yet to watch an episode of the fourth season, but I'm kind of excited to start it. There's no way it can be as ridiculous and as bad as the third installment was.

The Voice (HM) Tuesdays on NBC
What started out as an interesting new twist on the singing competition series, turned into another reality competition that I scream at for being so stupid. There have been plenty of things I enjoyed about The Voice, but 45 minutes of filler in the two hour final performance episode was not one of them. The judges had all gotten on my nerves by the end of this season, Blake doing that the least. But to those that think that this is the answer to Idol, you all have another thing coming. It's a case of novelty for most of you. This is new and bright and shiny, so you think it's amazing. Give a season or two more, and you'll be ripping your hair out every time Adam asks a contestant how they are doing, or each and every time they go back to the social media room to ask a dumb question. It has been nice, but in the end it's going to be another Idol.

Wilfred (-) Thursdays on FX
Elijah Wood and an Australian man dressed up in a dog suit. What's not to love?

No comments:

Post a Comment