Friday, July 8, 2011

Emmy Outlook- Lead in Comedy

Although the Poolies are much more important around here - and should be everywhere - as a television blog, we at the Quiet Pool Perspective have decided to talk a bit about the 2011 Emmys. With nominations set to be announced on July 14th, I will be going through the major categories over the next couple of days to give my ballot and my prediction. My Ballot is what I would have as my six nominees if I were eligible to vote on such things. My prediction is what I expect to be announced come July 14th. As a caveat, I will not be predicting guest actor and actresses, because that would be ridiculously difficult.
Lead Actor in a Comedy
Oliver Hudson

My Ballot
Alec Baldwin - 30 Rock
Steve Carell - The Office
Oliver Hudson - Rules of Engagement
Zachary Levi - Chuck
Rob Lowe - Parks and Recreation
Joel McHale - Community

Have I not said enough of Steve Carell in his final season of The Office?  Alec Baldwin and Joel McHale are staples of their given shows, but after that it gets tricky.  I absolutely love Rob Lowe on Parks and Rec, but how in the world is he a lead actor?  If you ask me it's just good strategy as this category is much weaker than supporting in comedy.  Even if he's not cracking me up non stop, Zach Levi does a whole lot on Chuck, and on the other side of things, Oliver Hudson makes me lose it multiple times per episode...His laugh per line ratio is off the charts.

Matt LeBlanc
Prediction
Alec Baldwin - 30 Rock
Steve Carell - The Office
Matt LeBlanc - Episodes
Joel McHale - Community
Matthew Morrison - Glee
Jim Parsons - The Big Bang Theory

Baldwin, Carell, and Parsons are locks to repeat nominations from a year ago.  Morrison, who was in the field last  year, will sadly most likely be back.  That is where things get tricky in this ridiculously shallow field of lead actors.  I'm predicting McHale to barely make it in, and LeBlanc to get in due to previous Emmy love, and the fact that he's on Showtime.  On a side note, I actually enjoyed him on Episodes.

Lead Actress in a Comedy
Jennifer Finnigan (right)

My Ballot
Courtney Cox - Cougar Town
Tina Fey - 30 Rock
Jennifer Finnigan - Better With You
Laura Linney - The Big C
Lea Michele - Glee
Amy Poehler - Parks and Recreation

Now we can talk about a weak category!  I have one person on my ballot that I didn't even finish the first season of.  I couldn't make it through the first installment of The Big C, but Laura Linney was decent enough to grab a spot on my ballot.  Lea Michele, on the other hand, was kind of difficult to watch this season on Glee, but there really isn't much choice.  The others I enjoyed, if not all that much.  I think Finnigan actually had my favorite season of these six.  Pathetic, I know.

Patricia Heaton
Prediction
Toni Collette - United States of Tara
Edie Falco - Nurse Jackie
Tina Fey - 30 Rock
Patricia Heaton - The Middle
Laura Linney - The Big C
Amy Poehler - Parks and Recreation

This is really a race for one spot.  Falco, Collette and Fey have won the past three years, and are shoe-ins to make it back in the field.  Poehler was here last year, and was nominated for SNL in years past so she's in good standing with the academy.  And then there is Linney, who is most likely going to take the whole thing.  So that leaves one spot, which could go to a variety of actresses, but my money is on Heaton with two Emmys to her name.  The Middle gets good ratings, and I can see it as a old-school sitcommy type that would get Emmy love.

No comments:

Post a Comment