Saturday, July 9, 2011

Emmy Outlook- Lead in Drama

Although the Poolies are much more important around here - and should be everywhere - as a television blog, we at the Quiet Pool Perspective have decided to talk a bit about the 2011 Emmys. With nominations set to be announced on July 14th, I will be going through the major categories over the next couple of days to give my ballot and my prediction. My Ballot is what I would have as my six nominees if I were eligible to vote on such things. My prediction is what I expect to be announced come July 14th. As a caveat, I will not be predicting guest actor and actresses, because that would be ridiculously difficult.
Lead Actor in a Drama
Donal Logue

My Ballot
Sean Bean - Game of Thrones
Jon Hamm - Mad Men
Charlie Hunnam - Sons of Anarchy
Peter Krause - Parenthood
Donal Logue - Terriers
Timothy Olyphant - Justified

Just an absolute stud show on my list of lead actors in a drama, and only one of these actors lost his job at the end of the year, Logue of the oft forgotten but highly entertaining Terriers.  Olyphant and his Poolie speak for themselves, while Hamm makes the list for reasons unknown to many Poolie voters apparently.  While this season of Sons wasn't my favorite, it wasn't due to lack of effort by Hunnam, who continues to have my love. Krause had to play a lot of different emotions on this season of Parenthood, and he did each of them spectacularly.  Bean was Bean, and I'm not going to spoil anything about this season of Game of Thrones.

Hugh Laurie
Prediction
Steve Buscemi - Boardwalk Empire
Michael C. Hall - Dexter
Jon Hamm - Mad Men
Jeremy Irons - The Borgias
Hugh Laurie - House, MD
William H. Macy - Shameless

Okay there are three guarantees here.  Hamm and Hall are in as usual, while Buscemi will be joining them as a yearly nominee after his first season on Boardwalk.  Laurie, who is a mainstay on the ballot, is a little riskier because of how long House has been on the air.  The fact that he has never won one doesn't help his chances, but I think he's got one more nomination in him.  The final two spots are up for grabs, and I'm leaning towards the two biggest names in the field.  William H. Macy and Jeremy Irons, while I disliked both of their performances in Shameless and Borgias, I'm assuming the academy will be giving them nods because they are who they are.

Lead Actress in a Drama
Katey Sagal

My Ballot
Jennifer Beals - The Chicago Code
Sophia Bush - One Tree Hill
Lauren Graham - Parenthood
Elizabeth Moss - Mad Men
Emmy Rossum - Shameless
Katey Sagal - Sons of Anarchy

While I can't stand Gemma Teller, I recognize Sagal's performance as one that deserves to be recognized.  I used to dislike her character as well, but Elizabeth Moss turned me into a member of Team Peggy after her fantastic season of Mad Men.    The rest of these ladies are a big crapshoot.  Rossum was enjoyable at times and annoying at others.  Graham was similar in that every time she got into a crying or shouting match with her daughter I wanted to slap her.  Bush does some of the only real acting on One Tree Hill, and I respect that, while Beals was a pleasant surprise in Code.

Kathy Bates
Prediction
Kathy Bates - Harry's Law
Connie Britton - Friday Night Lights
Julianna Margulies - The Good Wife
Elizabeth Moss - Mad Men
Katey Sagal - Sons of Anarchy
Kyra Sedgwick - The Closer

Okay I have three that are in here...Marguilies, Moss, and Sedgwick.  Sedwick surprised everyone last year with her win over newcomer Marguiles, but nobody will be surprised of any of these three nominations in 2011.  With all of the campaigning, and success at other awards shows, it is time for Sagal to get in.  Britton, who made it in for the first time last year, sadly makes it in again, while Kathy Bates makes it because she is Kathy freakin' Bates.  I've never seen Harry's Law but I'm sure it and Bates' performances are not very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment