Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Bi-Monthly Power Rankings- Honorable Mentions

There has been a lot of tv going on as of late, and since I am as busy as ever, I am extremely far behind on plenty of shows. To be specific, as I write this intro on Saturday, I am 48 episodes behind on shows that I am currently watching. I have also quit on more than a couple shows in the past month, which if you know me, you realize is a difficult task in itself. At the beginning of February, I skipped the regularly scheduled Poolies Watch, but nothing was going to stop me from putting the Bi-Monthly Power Rankings into the Pool for the 10th straight edition. As always, the Quiet Pool Perspective Power Rankings take into account both current and past performance. The honorable mentions are not necessarily my next ten favorite shows, but rather those that deserve mentioning at this time. So without further ado, here are the March Bi-Monthly Power Rankings. Enjoy.
Show- (last time)...red=moving down, green=moving up

The Amazing Race- (HM) Sundays on CBS
This All-Star season has brought back plenty of my favorite teams from the past three years or so, including the Globetrotters, the Cowboys, and Dr. Ned Shneebly-ba-deebly and his dad. But it also has brought back the 2009 winners of the Crazy James Zinkand Award for worst reality contestants, Margie and Luke. No one wanted to see them back on the show! What on Earth were you thinking?

American Idol- (-) Wednesdays and Thursdays on FOX
The first live show of Idol begins tonight and surprisingly I'm still as into it as ever. I will no doubt be disappointed as the weeks go on, but I am thus far impressed with the judging team. I am pretty ambivalent towards JLo, but I really like Steven Tyler. Switching those two for a Simon that had gotten extremely bored, a ridiculous Ellen, and Kara - who I hated with all my being - seems like a pretty fair trade. If Simon from the first five seasons was in the mix, then I'd be really upset, but he lost his mojo a bit towards the end.

Californication- (20) Sundays on Showtime
I have yet to watch this week's episode, but I have been a little disappointed in the season thus far. Maybe I was overrating because last year's finale finished in just spectacular fashion, because other than Hank's usual charm, nothing has been exciting in season four.

Cougar Town- (-) Wednesdays on ABC
Nothing has made me realize more that Cougar Town was actually a good show than watching Mr. Sunshine after Modern Family. A show that similarly started out awful, Cougar Town did grow into itself and was really great this second season.

Episodes- (-) Sundays on Showtime
The Mat Lablanc comedy finished its seven episode run last week and it was rather mediocre. There were a few decent bits here and there, but the main problem was that neither of the main characters were remotely interesting or likable. You can be awful and likable - see: Larry David - but this woman Beverly was nothing of the sort. I honestly wanted to slap her through the television screen every scene she was in. It was not a good year for Friends comebacks.

Parenthood- (-) Tuesdays on NBC
I had a difficult time keeping this show out of my top twenty. There have been a bunch of great episodes in a row, thanks in part to Michael B. Jordan's appearance as a much more enjoyable character than his Vince on Friday Night Lights.

Perfect Couples & Traffic Light- (-) Thursdays on NBC & Wednesdays on FOX
These two get one spot because they are basically the same show; three couples at different points in their respective relationships. I'm really enjoying both shows. Roy from The Office is killing it on Traffic Light, but I'm not two big on the other two guys in that one. The reason I was excited for Perfect Couples, Kyle Bornheimer, is one of the worst parts about it at this point. There's really nothing special about either of these, but they're nice enough shows to spend 21 minutes per week on.

Shameless- (-) Sundays on Showtime
I am currently a couple eps behind on this Showtime drama, but I've been enjoying it thus far. Down on their luck family scraping by isn't exactly a revolutionary story, but their spin on it has been interesting enough. I really enjoy Fiona as the quasi-matriarch of the family, and it is always kind of ridiculous to see William H. Macy as a stumbling drunk.

Survivor- (-) Wednesdays on CBS
Like I stated in my last post about the show, I have high hopes for this cast of characters. Agent Phil is getting weekly spots with Joel McHale on The Soup, so that is a good sign.

Wizards of Waverly Place- (-) Fridays on Disney Channel
As the current gold age of Disney Channel gets closer and closer to an end - with Jonas and Hannah Montana now off the air, and Wizards and Sonny With a Chance to follow shortly - David Henrie, Selena Gomez and crew are really making it difficult on me. Justin Russo is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters on television and this recent gimmick with the angels has been a joy. They're dealt with vampires, zombies, werewolves, and now angels. What mythical creatures will be next to take on the Russos?

Fallen out of the Top 20...Friday Night Lights (6, finished its run)
Now that it has finished its run on DirecTV, I decided to take Friday Night Lights out of the rankings. I never got a chance to write about the finale, so I'll take a quick moment here to mention how awesome it was. T-time tweeted something following the last episode that really resonated with me. "FNL finale has to be one of the most satisfying conclusions in memory." I completely agree. It wasn't the best finale I've seen...I mean wasn't even close to the Lost finale (begin shouting argument now), but it was definitely the most satisfying. You cannot argue with the way they ended the show. Just fantastic decisions all around. Deciding where to leave each characters story was perfect. Great stuff by the people at Friday Night Lights. I will definitely miss this show.

No comments:

Post a Comment