Wednesday, March 2, 2011

American Idol, Top 12 Guys- I Think I Got Nothing To Say To You


Spoiler Alert...Below are some thoughts from last night's Top 12 Guys on American Idol. So before reading any further, watch the ep, put a spell on me, then read what I have to say.

Although the level of talent on last night's first live American Idol of the season seemed to be extremely lacking, there was one major positive I gathered. Even though Simon Cowell was the best thing about the show, the judging panel as a whole really started to be a nuisance over the past couple of seasons. I in no way am saying that Steven Tyler or Jennifer Lopez brought anything of substance to last night's telecast, but you have to give them credit for being short! Between Kara and Ellen last season, we had some of the longest and tiresome judgments I have ever seen. If I weren't the type of guy who has to watch the whole episode, I definitely would have started to fast forward through whatever it was they were gabbing about. This is the type of judging I've been looking for. Steven and JLo basically just said whether they liked it or not and passed it along to the next person. Last year Randy went on and on at times - maybe only because he was trying to keep pace with Kara and Ellen - but in this first episode he seemed to tone everything down so he didn't seem like the one holding everything up. All in all the judging was pleasant enough. I'm assuming that once Steven and JLo get more comfortable, it will only get worse.

As for the contestants themselves...With a change of format - in that instead of dropping two losers each week, they will instead just take the top five plus wildcards into the finals after one week - the stakes were much higher in this year's first live show. Let's take a look at who succeeded and who failed.

Is this guy joking?
Brett Loewenstern- I am not embellishing at all when I say that I didn't think this kid should have made it through to Hollywood after his disaster of an audition. He needs to leave immediately and take his hair with him.

Standard covers will bring you down
Clint Gamboa- Not only did he pick a standard losing song in Superstition, but he did it terribly.
Jovany Barreto- The same can be said for this beefcake. I'll Be? Really? I don't care if it's round one or ten, you don't do I'll Be anymore. It got played out back when Joshua Gracin did it back in season two.

Don't take on these artists
Stefano Langone- I don't know what the judges were listening to on this one. If you take on the best voice in music today, you are going to fail. You can't sing Bruno Mars on this competition. You just can't.
Jordan Dorsey- And then there is Usher. He may not have the best voice in the world, but you can't try to dance and move like him Jordan. Unless your name is Chris Brown, it's not possible.

Bore me to death
Tim Halperin- This guy performed last night?
Robbie Rosen- I kinda liked this, but it was a little too sleepy to think he's going to take one of the top five spots. I don't see him getting a wild card from the judges over the likes of Stefano or Jordan, so it might be too late for Robbie.

Do what YOU do
James Durbin- I can't really argue that he wasn't good, but it was for me. If you want to scream and yell like the Adam Lambert copy cat that you are, go right ahead. Are you a homeless man's Adam Lambert? Yes. Is going to get you into the finals? Probably.
Scotty McCreery- Maybe it's because I've been living in Nashville and country music is growing on me, but I enjoyed this performance. Because it's so country, it's not going to be for everyone, but he should get by on just the bass of his voice.

My top three
Paul McDonald- Although he seemed to be playing a character more than giving a performance, I still really enjoyed his Maggie May. His "quirky" style as the judges put it, has instantly grown on me. I think he will prove to be one of the better contestants in the finals...if he makes it there.
Casey Abrams- He has the charm, that's for sure. I'm not over the moon on him as I know Tyson is, but he definitely has talent. I'm just waiting for him to bring the cello back out on stage.
Jacob Lusk- This was fantastic right? He showed power, control, tenderness...and then he started to sing. Seriously though, he was great. I don't like him, and won't be rooting for him, but I think he should do well in this competition based on that performance.

The women are up tonight, and I'm not looking forward to it.

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever thought about creating an e-book or guest authoring on
    other blogs? I have a blog based upon on the same subjects you discuss and would really like to
    have you share some stories/information. I know my audience would appreciate
    your work. If you're even remotely interested, feel free to send me an email.

    my web-site torontowineeducation.com

    ReplyDelete