Thursday, July 8, 2010

Toy Story 3- Now Do You (Day)Care?

All it took to get me to go to the movie theater was a vacation across the country to California. With some down time, Jack and I went and saw Toy Story 3 in fantastic Disney Digital 3D. So below I have my completely spoiler-free review of the instant Pixar Classic.

First off the 3D was great. The glasses, unlike those at theme parks, were both functioning and comfortable. There weren't any cheap 3D tricks, but the added depth gave the toy world an extra ummph to it.

Toy Story's main characters are Woody and Buzz. Although Woody has never been about comedy, he is the heart of the story, and he didn't disappoint in that aspect this time around. Buzz, on the other hand, has been one of the funniest characters in animated history in the past (especially Toy Story 2). This final installment was not nearly as much of a showcase for the astronaut hero.

The old supporting characters, like Rex, Potato Head and Hamm, were still on their respective games and brought a good amount of comic relief this time around. A big bonus came in the way of the new characters. Unlike Toy Story 2, that introduced the insufferable Jessie, 3 gave us the likes of Lotso, Mr. Pricklepants, Trixie and maybe the best new addition, Ken.

The new environment (a daycare center) for our beloved characters was an awesome way of changing things up. It created a great conflict for our heroes and finished everything up with a terrific ending.

What was best about Toy Story 3 is that the concluded the series well. There should be no room for any more sequels that will have the chance at diminishing the quality of this trilogy. It took them 11 years to come up with a good enough story to follow up Toy Story 2. It would only take longer to think of a quality Toy Story 4 plot. The toys had their story summed up nice and succinctly at the end of 3 and I'm happy about that.

After only one watch, I wouldn't have a problem sliding Toy Story 3 into the first, second or third spots in my series rankings. It was at the least right on par with the other two. Most people will be stubborn and love the first one most, no matter if it's actually the best movie or not. Not me. I'm open to the idea that sequels can build on originals and get better. I've always had more nostalgia for one, but thought two was funnier. Maybe ten years down the road I'll look back on three as the best on both accounts.

5 comments:

  1. I knew you'd like it. Great character development.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope that doesn't mean that you didn't. thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The girls have it two thumbs up. And they have the glasses to prove it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad to hear it...of course i have my glasses as well. obviously it wasn't up your alley i assume.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a good time and I enjoyed it. Although, I recycled my glasses!

    ReplyDelete