Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Noah Hunter Award- Supporting Character Drama

Named For: Noah Hunter played by Vincent Young in Beverly Hills, 90210
Awarded To: Best supporting character in a drama series from
June 1, 2009 - May 31, 2010
Last Year's Winner: Ari Gold- Entourage

Place. Character (Show) Points (My Vote)

10. Mark Sloan (Grey's Anatomy) 0 points

9. Crosby Braverman (Parenthood) 2 points

8. Creighton Bernett (Treme) 6 points

7. Dale Kettlewell (Greek) 9 points (3rd)

6. Davis McAlary (Treme) 11 points (5th)

5. Buddy Garrity (Friday Night Lights) 15 points

4. Roger Sterling (Mad Men) 20 points (1st)

3. James Wilson (House, MD) 21 points

Runner-Up
2. Landry Clarke (Friday Night Lights) 21 points (2nd)

and the Poolie goes to...
1. Ari Gold (Entourage)
31 points (4th)

Here with his thoughts on Ari Gold is Poolie voter, Tyson...

Before we get started I just want to warn the throngs of Pool readers that the following post will contain profanity, sexism, homophobia, and possibly a little anti-Semitism. Now that that’s out of the way, let’s congratulate Ari Gold for winning the 2010 Noah Hunter Award. If Jeremy Piven were here, I’m sure he would be psyched to win an award named after the actor who played Raoul in the 2004 film, Knuckle Sandwich.

Ari Gold does so many things well it’s hard to know where to begin. He is wonderful when he yells at gays, amazing when he yells at women, and awesome when he yells at everyone else. The beauty of Ari is that he vocalizes the things many of us would never dare to say. For example, Take this exchange between Lloyd and Ari:

Lloyd: Are you hiding something from me Ari?
Ari: Only my c*ck and my a**hole Lloyd..


…simply magical. Quotes like that really make me wish I had some openly gay friends.

The most amazing thing about Ari’s character is that he is universally liked by viewers yet loathed by most of the other characters. I think the point the writers want to convey here is that a small, angry, Jewish man is much more enjoyable from a distance and much less enjoyable close-up, when he is yelling at your mid-section.

If there is a point to the nonsensical preceding paragraphs, I guess it would be that the beauty of Ari is not the complexity of his character but the extent of his quotability. With that in mind, I will leave you with one of my favorites from this past season:

(Ari walks into yet another assistant)
Jake: Hi Mr. Gold. I’m Jake Steinberg, HR sent me up to replace your last assistant.
Ari: I don’t care. Get me Eddy Kapowski on the phone.
Jake: Uhm, any relation to Kelly Kapowski? You know, Saved by the Bell?
Ari: You’re finished. Go. You’re f*cking fired.


by Tyson Brazell

No comments:

Post a Comment