Monday, June 14, 2010

True Blood- Everyone For Themselves

Spoiler alert...Below are some thoughts on last night's True Blood season three premier. So watch the ep, put on your shiny red robe, and read what I had to say.

Jessica Hamby- "I am a freak of f*cking nature."

As much as I like to see everything that goes on in the characters lives that I am watching, sometimes I'm not sure a show like this works well when opening a premier just seconds after the last season's finale. Because everyone in Bon Temps was doing something different and crazy at the end of last year, it was a bit difficult for me to get myself into the mindset of what the heck was going on in this supernatural southern town.

When you start the next season like a month or too later, and the viewer is forced to try and figure out what happened since the last time we saw the characters, that nine month hiatus kind of makes sense. When your forced to get right back in the thick of the events you witnessed last August and September, it's a little more tiresome to grasp.

I'm about to get into some more complaining about the show, so I'd like to quickly add that I really enjoyed the premier and I'm real excited that it's back. I thought the second season was a great step forward from what was already a good first season and I'm hoping that it only gets better with age.

Something I see as a detractor in True Blood, and maybe just more so in this third season premier, is the use of their ensemble cast. There seems to be no depth to anything when everyone is off doing their own thing. Bill was being captured, Sookie was searching for him, Sam was looking for his family, Lafayette, Jason, etc. On occasion it's hard to get a good feel for the show when everyone is off on their own.

What was so great about a show like Lost was that it used it's ensemble so well. They were always in groups. Most of the time a single character got the spotlight of an episode, but everyone else was in factions and I think that is a tactic that worked really well.

When I start a season it's always interesting to see who jumps off the page right away as great or terrible. I mean Eric was my favorite character last season, but I didn't like his start last night. Who did impress me? Andy Bellefleur! This dude was such a whiny chump back in season one, and his transformation to an authoritative figure telling Jason Stackhouse exactly what to do, was really awesome. He doesn't get much screen time, but I hope that can change.

Who came up on the other end of the stick after one ep? Tara f'in Thornton. What a terribly annoying cry baby. Oh boo hoo, you're hypnotized boyfriend killed a bunch of people. Waa waa. Get over yourself and do something productive. She's making an early push for a Teri Bauer Award nomination. And to top it off, they brought her mother right back into the fold with all of her religious blabber. This story line should stop immediately.

See ya next time at Fangtasia.

No comments:

Post a Comment