Sunday, June 6, 2010

CBS Upfronts- Gut Reactions

If you've ever read this blog you know that I'm not a fan of CBS scripted shows. Their dramas are all of the CSI procedural model and I could care less about them. The comedies, for the most part, aren't funny. CBS reality, on the other hand, is still at the top. Between Survivor, Big Brother and The Amazing Race, they are at the top of the field. Let's see if next season looks any different.

Canceled: The only one that matters to me (and albeit very little) is the loss of Gary Unmarried. Not only because I liked to make T-time think I liked it more than I really did, but because it actually was entertaining from time to time. Even if it was big and obvious most of the time, the son Tommy and Rob Riggle as brother Mitch did more than their share to keep it funny. Also out are comedies Old Christine and Accidentally on Purpose, long time dramas Numb3rs, Ghost Whisperer and Cold Case, and brand new mistake of a drama Miami Medical. Ho hum. Getting rid of garbage procedurals.

Returning: Four sitcoms, including the only CBS comedy I will be watching Rules of Engagement, are back for the network. The three big gun reality shows are still kicking around, as are a boatload of procedural dramas that I could care less about. That is, except for The Mentalist which is one of the best of its kind due to its stellar cast.

New Shows

With most of their garbage returning because of such high ratings, CBS doesn't have much new programming on its slate. Having said that, there are two that I will give a try. Hawaii Five-O has a bunch of things working in its favor. It has both Scott Caan and Daniel Dae Kim as its leads. It is set in Hawaii. And they used the "Book 'em Dann-o" line in the trailer. CBS is trying Alex O'Laughlin as a tv star for the third time in four years, but it's obvious the other two lead guys will outshine him.

After realizing that The Defenders also intrigues me, it came to my attention that location sways my preference a good deal. It is set in Las Vegas which almost immediately gets me on board. Jim Belushi and Jerry O'Connell star as an almost Odd Couple pair of lawyers. It seems very much like a dramedy-action hybrid and I'll give it a try.

The only other that looks remotely interesting is Blue Bloods starring Tom Selleck. The Criminal Minds spin-off, and comedies Mike and Molly and Sh*t My Dad Says don't look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment