Monday, June 21, 2010

Treme- Showdown on the Street

Spoiler alert...Below are some thoughts on last night's season one finale of Treme, 'I'll Fly Away'. So watch the ep, order a 40 dollar high life, and read what I had to say.

Davis McAlary- "You can't get these in New York City."
Janette Desautel- "They have sandwiches."

Albert Lambreaux- "I'm playin' the changes. You're playin' that Chinese sh*t."

Two episodes ago, I thought 'All on a Mardis Gras Day' would have been a great season finale because of the epic nature of the event that had all of the characters out and about in New Orleans. Although I knew tonight's ep wouldn't have the same feel, I assumed it would wrap everything up awesomely due to the legend that is David Simon.

To get right at the point, I was disappointed with that part of the finale. I guess it has to do with the problems I had with the series from the beginning. There may be some plot lines, but they don't seem to be interesting like I assume they were in The Wire. Janette moving to New York, Ladonna's brothers funeral, or Sonny and Annie breaking up for the second time didn't have that much of an effect on me.

Maybe some of these life changing events aren't affecting me the same way as say an awesome teen soap, because they're not melodrama enough. Maybe it's more realistic to you. But to me, it's just boring and forgetable at times. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a big fan of the show. I love the city, I love the music, and I love Steve Zahn's Davis. But the story telling could still use some work.

The one full season story arc that really clicked for me? Big Chief Albert Lambreaux's. He kept slowly but surely getting his Indian suit ready. He kept fightin' with the police throughout. Tonight it all came together as he finally (kinda) finished his big chief suit, went out singing in the street, and had a nice run in with the cops. I still have no idea what the whole indian thing is about, but the showdown with the rival tribe was fantastic regardless.

And then there is Creighton. Did that just happen? I will give credit for surprise of the year on that one. Maybe I'm very dull, and yes it's a small maybe, but I didn't see him killing himself at any point while watching this. He was having trouble writing his book, but really? Jumping off a ferry? "Welp, that's it for me."

And in the end we had another second line. Just the way we started this first season. When it began it was after the Kartina catastrophe. When it ended it was for Ladonna's brother's funeral. In New Orleans it's what they do, and they do it well.

Additional notes from the Treme

-Maybe he's selfish. Maybe he's just a nice guy. Davis was awesome as he courted Janette to stay in New Orleans and then welcomed Annie to his home with open arms after the cook left for NYC.

-Speaking of Annie. She's real sweet. Do we need Sonny on this show anymore if they aren't going to be involved? Maybe we do. Who else can order 40 dollar high lifes like he does?

-How pointless was Antoine's story this week? All of the sudden he's addicted to poker? And bad at it to boot. Loved him early, but he's not getting much to work with recently.

-Davis taking the job at the radio station should satisfy T-time. It now brings back the fantastic way of integrating music into the show seemlessly, as demonstrated by the song he dedicated to the indians.

-I love how many times, the actresses that critics adore, are the characters I want to slap the most (case and point Tami Taylor/Connie Britton on Friday Night Lights). In this case it is Melissa Leo as Toni Bernette. If Big Creighton really is gone, I would love to see this whole family leave New Orleans.

-And finally there was the gigantic flashback to just before Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. Really? If I wanted to see how all these people were hit by the storm, I wanted to see it in the season premier, not the finale. I think it's a clever idea, but didn't work for me. I'm sure many peole loved it.

See ya for the next season of Treme. I'll bring the beignets.

No comments:

Post a Comment