Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Cheers Award- Best Opening/Theme

Named For: Cheers (NBC) 1982-93
Awarded To: Best opening credits/theme song from June 1, 2009 - May 31, 2010
Last Year's Winner: no award

Place. Show (Network) Points (My Vote)

10. Parenthood (NBC) 2 points

9. Bored to Death (HBO) 4 points

8. Jonas (Disney Channel) 9 points (5th)

7. Hannah Montana (Disney Channel) 11 points (3rd)

6. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (FX) 12 points

5. Treme (HBO) 13 points (2nd)

4. Saturday Night Live (NBC) 14 points

3. How to Make it in America (HBO) 22 points (1st)

Runner-Up
2. Community (NBC) 23 points

and the Poolie goes to...
1. Sons of Anarchy (FX) 23 points (4th)
Here with his thoughts on the Sons of Anarchy theme song/opening credits is Poolie voter, T-time...

Curtis Stigers has been singing jazz since the seventies. You know him best, though I doubt you know him at all, for his tune from the soundtrack for The Bodyguard. As such, he was an unlikely choice to pen a theme song for a series about an outlaw biker gang. The lounge singer channeled Ronnie Van Zandt and cooked up a southern rock tune that meshes perfectly with the accompanying images of bikes and guns. Stigers lends his own voice to the sequence and lets us know how the crow, and presumably the Sons as well, flies: a perfect line.

by Tim Forcella

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tim,
    I released my first album in 1991. I was born in 1965. That would make it pretty unlikely that I would have been "singing jazz since the seventies"... OK maybe I was singing along to Sarah Vaughn records back when I was in junior high school, but I'd say you got that one wrong. Also, I don't play lounges, just theaters and jazz festivals. Glad you like the show. And the music... All the best, Curtis Stigers

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha nice...where'd you get you info Tim?

    ReplyDelete