Saturday, April 17, 2010

Seven Restaurants In Seven Nights

Recently I spent seven days in the great south region of our United States. I was much too busy hanging out at Disney hotels, going to the beach and playing outdoor basketball to watch any tv (hence why I am so far behind on many shows now that I'm back in the cold northeast). What I did do while I was on my seven day vacation was go out to dinner at seven different restaurants. I'm taking a break from writing about television this weekend to blog about every fat kid's second greatest passion, food.

My Top Seven Restaurants on Vacation

7. Sonic- Savannah, GA
Jayj and I drove from the Happiest Place on Earth to Savannah on Friday. Once we finished the four hour trip, and stopped at the outlets in St. Augustine to check out the Tommy Bahama gear, we were as hungry as cats. A quick trip to everybody's favorite Drive In hit the spot. I love my chicken toaster sandwich as much as the next guy, but the good people at Sonic were way to skimpy on my tots, and JJ's fries, to get anything but last place.

6. Tubby's Tank House- Savannah, GA
On our last night in Savannah JJ, the parents and I hit up Tubby's Tank House right on the river in Savannah. Although Jayj insisted that they let me eat free because the restaurant was named after me, we had no such luck. The chicken salad sandwich was great and the live music was a bonus, but the second floor deck right on the river made everything a bit too chilly for my liking.

5. Seven Bridges- Jacksonville, FL
A somewhat ale house type establishment right outside Jacksonville. We hit it up on my last night down south before getting on a plane early Wednesday morning. It was good food and good service. Well excellent and terrific if you were to ask our waiter. Really? Does every response have to be such a hyperbole? We're just eating a normal meal here. The hickory burger hit the spot, but not enough in the surrounding area to get me excited.

4. Fudruckers- Savannah, GA
I had been hearing stories of the famous Fudrucker burger from T-time and JJ for quite some time. It was definitely going to be hard to live up to. I hadn't been to one since I was like eight, so there wasn't much to remember. Much more than fast food, but a bit less than a sit down restaurant, Fudruckers was solid but not much more. The burger was great, but i did have to put on my own accouterments.

3. ESPN Club- Lake Buena Vista, FL
I have been to this ESPN Club so many times that it feels like a second home. That is exactly why I won the bet with Case the Base that it was not ESPN Zone. Anyway Disney's Boardwalk as the atmosphere, a perfect buffalo chicken sandwich, and the gigantic flat screen all made for a fantastic experience. Our annoying waitress didn't help its cause of getting the title on this list though.

2. Moon River- Savannah, GA
My first experience in downtown Savannah was accompanied by a visit to Moon River, the city's only microbrewery. The pub atmosphere was nice, the bacon burger was great, but it was everything else that came with the great downtown Savannah that gets Moon River runner-up status. You can't beat that first time walking into the River Street Sweets and picking up your free sample praline and then walking right out.

1. Earl of Sandwich- Lake Buena Vista, FL
Sure it had the added bonus of being in Downtown Disney on my first night of vacation, but the real reason Earl of Sandwich gets my best dinner of the week is because of who was accompanying me. During my last trip to Disney, The Bonz, Jon the Bon and myself thought it would be a nice place to eat. Of course JJ and T-time couldn't eat there because they hated sandwiches. The argument went on from there...Everything from how can you 'hate sandwiches'? That's such a broad generalization. To what is actually a sandwich? Does it have to be a deli sandwich? Could a hamburger be a sandwich? What makes a chicken sandwich a sandwich?

Either way I found out recently that JJ decided to eat at Earl of Sandwich in February while he was at ESPN The Weekend. He scarfed down a meatball sandwich. His main motivation for eating at the Downtown Disney hot spot? To watch Mike Greenberg eat dinner. Well that might be a stretch. Either way he was eating at a place that he threw a hissy fit about us eating at less than a year earlier. When I sat down with my Hawaiian BBQ Chicken and watched him take down their Meatballs! it brought a great joy to my soul. Especially when I snapped a pic of him in the act and put it on Twitter for all my 34 followers to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment