Wednesday, April 7, 2010

American Idol- No Tim! Good Performance

Randy Jackson- "It was a good Tim performance."

While Simon is one of the meanest people in television history, Randy's treatment of Tim Urban last night might have been more cruel than anything the cranky Brit has ever done. At least Simon makes sense with his criticism. Randy saying that he is not judging Tim in a comparison to any other contestant is just wrong and unfair to the contestants and the audience. Figure it out dawg and learn how to judge or I'm gonna be forced to fast forward through you.

Speaking of this "good Tim performance" I actually agreed with Simon that it was decent. The thing about Urban is that half of the time he's a pleasant listen. You know he's never going to try to hard with the vocals, so it never sounds strained (unlike his young teenybopping partner). I'd rather listen to this performance by Urban any day of the week than sit through another Aaron Kelly hatchet job.

Aaron is always straining and it just gets worse and worse every week I have to sit through his performance. Whichever judge said it last night was right on the money with the fact that it was "a long and winding song." It was both annoying and boring. When is this youngster going to realize you can't just put a country voice on any song without rearranging it to give it a country feel. It's just felt like a mutant cousin of The Long and Winding Road.

While we're on the topic of performances I really couldn't stand...Andrew Garcia aka President Omar Hassan went back to his other identity this week as he just butchered Can't Buy Me Love. I was bored throughout and it is a very upbeat song. Not usually the combination you think of.

My favorite this week was once again Crystal Bowersox. MamaSox has proven she can do anything, even smile while hugging a didgeridoo player. I really don't like Come Together, but like Adam Lambert used to do last year, she made me a fan of it with her performance.

I also really liked Siobhan Magnus and Katie Stevens last night. The Glass Blower really stepped with a Lambert/Tracks of My Tears moment in her rendition of Across the Universe. Now it wasn't as enjoyable as Michael Johns's rock out a couple years ago, but it was so tender and controlled that it was a pleasant change from her normal garbage. Ms. Stevens just flat out sang and performed well. I know Rizzo thinks she's the best every single week, but for me this is different. She made Let It Be seem real current.

Casey James, Le DeWyze and Michael Lynche were all subpar for me this week. I think Big Mike was my favorite of the group because he didn't something interesting that fit his style. I wanted to write that his Eleanor Rigby didn't even compare to Larry's Eleanor and CJ version but I think he was okay here. Casey, on the other hand, was not good at all. He was loving the vibrato this week as every time he went into a long note I thought I was getting shot at by a machine gun "eheheheheheheh". Oh Lee DeWyze. I wanted to really like you this week, but you brought a crazy bagpipe player on stage in the middle of your performance and I just couldn't concentrate. It was like Lee was the opening act and the Bagpipe Guy was the main attraction.

My prediction is the Tim Urban finally leaves us tonight.

Performance Rankings

1. Crystal Bowersox
2. Siobhan Magnus
3. Katie Stevens
4. Michael Lynche
5. Lee DeWyze
6. Tim Urban
7. Casey James
8. Andrew Garcia
9. Aaron Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment