Tuesday, April 20, 2010

24- Jack's Crying Game

It's been a long time since I've written about 24, mainly because this season has been so bad, but a couple of developments from the past two episodes have made my typing fingers itchy.

We got ourselves another silent clock with the death of Renee Walker. Other than the first one ever, I always seem to get a little sad when the clock is silent. It's the realization that another main character has left us. The first one ever was, of course, the death of Teri Bauer. I was so happy to see that terribly annoying character gone that I had no way of feeling sorry for Jacky B. As I look back on it, maybe it would've been worth having to see Teri through the years if it meant that Jack wouldn't turn into a sad sack over every new girl he finds.

I really love watching Jack Bauer torture people, scream at the top of his lungs, chase down terrorists and everything else that makes him the baddest dude on the planet. But what I don't love is when he becomes a sappy sad sack. If I want to see an action star with a sensitive side, I'm gonna break out the tissues and turn on an episode of Chuck.

He had his wife of so many years die in his arms, and since then it's been Kate Warner, Claudia Hernandez, Audrey Raines, Diane Huxley and most recently Renee Walker. I mean I'm all for Jack being a ladies man, but why does he have to act like a pathetic sap when they get shot, go mentally insane or go back to Texas? I'm not saying there should be only one woman for every man, but there is no way he should be crying over six different women in eight seasons? Give me a break Jack.

Our favorite criminal President has returned. This was the first thing to get me excited about this season. An older, more doubly chinned Charles Logan is back to help with the U.S./Russia relationship. Sure he committed treason as the President of the United States, helping terrorists enact a terrible crime on his own country, but the good people of America could always use his help right? Awesome. He's up to no good an I love every second of it. Take that woman President down a few notches. Show her how we really do things in the oval office.

And finally Dana Walsh. It's incredible how 24 can change the appearance of a character after we find out who they really are. Although I couldn't stand a second of her in the early going, I still found Dana Walsh dumb and unassuming; not evil. Now that the audience has been let in on the secret that she is dirty and was a mole for the terrorists she just looks like pure evil every time she's on screen. Is it just that I'm looking for it now? Or does she has an evil scowl on her face 24/7 at this point?

Still not a great season so far. Let's see if Logan, and hopefully an improvement from Cole Ortiz, can pick things back up down the home stretch.

2 comments:

  1. I think the season has been totally awesome since the EMP blast. And let's not forget the great acting from Annie Wersching in the early goings. I disagree completely about your perspective on a 'sappy' Jack as you put it. Jack Bauer, as much as you would not like to believe, is a human being. He does have feelings. It is nice to see the human side of him once in a while. He's not a damn robot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you disagree with my opinion, most do. I do agree that he is a human being, but the fact that 24 has turned into one big machine only makes me feel that Jack should just be a machine and do what he does.

    I continue to watch 24 because it does what it does. It's action packed. There's torture. There's shooting. There's a mole. Every season is the same thing. In that same vein, I want Jack to just take out the terrorists and let his 'sappy' feeling come out to play on one of the other 364 days of the year.

    ReplyDelete