Saturday, February 21, 2009

Reservoir Dogs


As some know I am currently attempting to broaden my movie watching ability with recent viewings of 'On the Waterfront', 'The Sting' and 'Dr. Strangelove'. The first two I thoroughly enjoyed and Strangelove didn't really do it for me. With influence from The Boss and Jay-sone I was turned on to the Tarantino films (of which I had seen none). Last night I threw in 'Reservoir Dogs' and came out of the experience very happy. Not to say that I get happy when everyone in a movie dies, but it was a great flick.

Thoughts

The beginning was fantastic. With a cold open that leads into what I like to call a "slow-mo walking with music doing intros" scene, it got me excited for the rest of the film. The cold open was great because I immediately connected with Buscemi's character, Mr. Pink. He didn't leave a tip for the waitress because he doesn't believe in it. He had my thoughts of the past ten years exactly. Why do waitresses deserve tips for doing their job? This leads into my over the top theory that so many thank yous are unnecessary. Why thank the bus driver when getting off? He's driving you because he gets paid to do it. Are you thanking him for not getting into an accident or turning around and shooting you in the head? Also the thank you for someone who opens the door as the leave somewhere and you're entering, unnecessary. They're leaving anyway, they are not opening the door solely so that you don't have to. Ridiculous.

Anyway where was I, oh yes, the movie. Other unbelievable moment was when the rest of the crew leaves and Mr. Blonde, played by Michael Madsen, is left with the hostage of a cop. When he puts on 'Stuck in the Middle' by Steelers Wheel and starts dancing it really got me going. I fell in love with The Matador all over again. And then there is the ending when everyone shoots each other. With some discussion with Jay-sone it seems that Mr. White got off two shots, killing Joe and Eddie, before he hits the ground. Now according to Chris Penn something went wrong with the stunt and he began to fall to the ground before White got his second shot off but in the fast action of it, I couldn't tell any of that. I loved the fact that Mr. Pink snuck out and got away scott free.

Top Reservoir Dogs

1. Mr. Blonde- Michael Madsen
2. Mr. Pink- Steve Buscemi
3. Nice Guy Eddie- Chris Penn
4. Mr. Brown- Quentin Tarantino
5. Mr. Orange- Tim Roth
6. Joe- Lawrence Tierney
7. Mr. Blue- Eddie Bunker
8. Mr. White- Harvey Keitel

Spoiler Alert
Ending showdown scene

No comments:

Post a Comment