Sunday, January 9, 2011

SNL- Channeling Jim Carrey


When I have the time, I will sit down and give my thoughts on a given episode of Saturday Night Live. With all of the shows I'm reviewing for TV Fanatic (Chuck, One Tree Hill, Justified, The Office, and 30 Rock; come back for weekly reviews) on hiatus until next week, and the return of the great Jim Carrey, I thought this was a perfect time to post on it.

I heard more people who don't normally watch Saturday Night Live talk about watching this week's episode because it was Jim Carrey hosting. This guy was a legend for my generation back in the 90s, and although he really has fallen off recently, his days of Ace Ventura, Dumb and Dumber, The Cable Guy, In Living Color, and even his previous stint hosting SNL, really got a ton of people excited for the first Saturday Night Live episode of 2011.

Did it live up to expectations? No, I don't think so. Was that Jim Carrey's fault? Again, I don't think so. It comes down to the writing of these sketches. As always, I put most of the blame on head writer Seth Meyers, even though I really have no idea how the bureaucracy of backstage SNL works. This cast has a lot of players I find hilarious, but the show can never manage to really put together a slate of well done sketches, and that leads me back to the writing. Was Jim Carrey really given enough to do in his wheelhouse to make this return an absolute success? I don't think so. But read on for a more detailed look at what went down last night.

Spoiler alert...Below are more in depth thoughts on last night's Saturday Night Live hosted by Jim Carrey. So before reading any further, watch the episode, let me use your hotel room key to go to the bathroom, then read what I have to say.

Cold Open- What a surprise, a political cold opening! I thought we were off to a great start with this though, because like in the fantastic Wizard of Oz sketch from a couple months ago, Fred Armisen said "apartment" with a New York accent. Other than that part, it was pretty standard, and of course boring.

Monologue- There was a lot of excitement in the air for this. I seemed to be smiling throughout Carrey's monologue, and I don't know if it was because it was Jim Carrey on the SNL stage, or because he was making actual funny comments. His bit about 2010 being a "nightmare" was good, and proposing to the woman in the audience wasn't bad, but overall it was nothing to write home about.

Bosley's Hair Transplant- Man I hate repeat commercials, especially when they are as unfunny as this one. If you're going to bring back commercials that have been used before, why not just go all the way back to Schmitts Gay?

Black Swan- The dude as a chick bit has surely run its course, but Carrey pulled it off, especially when they first cut to him and he was smacking his gum with the best of them. His ridiculous ballet moves were nice, but it was Hader's thumbs up/thumbs down bit that stole the show here.

Finding Your Power- I'm assuming this didn't work the way they thought it would. It was a nice idea just couldn't figure out how to execute it. The only part I enjoyed was Carrey falling down in the snowy woods. The dude's physical comedy never disappoints.

Grady Wilson- I never enjoy this recurring infomercial, no matter how many times they try it. I'm sure there are plenty out there that find an old fat man doing weird sexual positions funny, but I'm not one of them. Jim Carrey's baboon in a tree did have me going for a bit though.

Worst of Soul Train- So many moments in this sketch were not funny. In fact everything other than Jason Sudeikis screaming to "get in the trunk!"

Weekend Update- While still strangely liked by many, I continue to hate Weekend Update. There is a decent joke once in a blue moon, but all it does is take up 15 minutes of time that could be put on three sketches. Those three sketches would probably bad so what's the difference right? The Pelosi/Boehner and the Bird/Fish things did nothing for me, but Bobby Moynihan's second hand news guy was worth the watch. Him looking behind the desk to see who's listening never fails to crack me up.

Maryville Brothers- As a fan of dark rides and audio-animatronics, I enjoyed this. It was nothing special, and they continued to limit Jim Carrey's abilities, but it was pleasant enough.

Psychic Reader- Finally! Hilarious. Definitely the best of the night. I really don't know what was better in this sketch, Jim Carrey's impressions and pretending he was actually channeling the given spirits, or Sudeikis's excitement every time Carrey did a new character. It worked all the way through, even with a nice ending bit as the psychic impressionist didn't do Brando. Who doesn't have a Brando?!? Good stuff, but too little, too late.



Taste of New York- Another good idea that just didn't prove to be that funny. This band needed help from the crowd they were playing for in New York, and the songs were kind of humorous I guess, but it didn't go over all that well.

All in all, a disappointing return from Jim Carrey. He was fine in his performances, but the episode didn't live up to the hype. Although I am down on the writers of SNL, I am back on the side of whoever chooses the hosts, because this season has been a vast improvement over last year.

Six of last year's first 11 hosts: Megan Fox, Drew Barrymore, Gerard Butler, Taylor Swift, Blake Lively, Taylor Lautner.

Six of this year's first 11 hosts: Bryan Cranston, Jon Hamm, Robert De Niro, Paul Rudd, Jeff Bridges, Jim Carrey.

Looks like someone realized getting hosts with actual comedic talent was a good idea. Now if they could only get some talented writers.

No comments:

Post a Comment