Monday, February 8, 2010

Super Ads- Google and a LOST Parody

Sure if my Colts had won last night I probably would be writing about the game instead of the commercials, but I'm too upset to even think about football right now. For the first time since I started working a year and a half ago, I failed to listen to sports radio on my win in to the office, because I did not want to hear anything that Boomer, Carton, Mike or Mike had to say about the game, the Colts, or Peyton. It is a very sad day at the Pool.

Anyway...on the commercial side of things, there were a few highlights. It's seems to be the fad nowadays to talk about the Super Bowl commercials as if they were at one point fantastic and are now garbage. I don't have that vivid of memories of the ads from long ago, but I feel like most regard the past higher than it deserves. It was never the case that all of the ads at the Super Bowl were fantastic. There were some doozies in the past and there were some clunkers. You obviously don't remember the awful commercials. What makes the Super Bowl commercials such a big deal is that they're all new. You know that you're going to see ads that no one has seen before, and that is exciting. Some will be decent, some will be bad, and maybe one or two will be memorable years from now, but I don't think the Super Bowl commercials are any worse today than they were years ago.

Top Five of the Night

5. CareerBuilder.com: Casual Friday
This ad features a lot of people working in their underwear. It makes the list only for the co-worker's line at the 25 second mark, "Nice pants, Terry."


4. McDonald's: LeBron & Dwight Play HORSE
Okay, so it aired just before the Super Bowl, but I'm counting it anyway. As a Magic fan, I continue to be sad at how hard Dwight Howard tries to be funny (and inevitably fails). This makes it for the Jordan/Bird nostalgia factor. Bird's cameo at the end obviously made me hate him just a little bit less.


3. Hyundai: Ten Years
Like most of the country (I assume), I have begun to hate Brett Favre over the past four or five years. Here's the thing though, I think he's been doing the right thing recently in embracing his idiocy. The fact that he has begun to make fun of himself for retiring/unretiring/wavering so many times in commercials has gotten me to like him only a little bit more. This ad, where he claims that he is older than most of the coaches, owners and fans, is good.


2. Google: Search On
Maybe it's because I love Google, or maybe it's because I currently have a strong affinity towards France, but I thought this ad was simple yet fantastic. Google seems to just do most things better than everyone else. I felt as if I was taking this journey with this fella ad the soft piano played in the background.


1.Bud Light: Stranded
Okay, okay. I love LOST. And this was basically a LOST parody. Having said that, this Bud Light ad was good regardless of your television drama preference. These people are in dire straights, and instead of wanting to get off of this deserted island, they'd rather party with some cold brews. Best line was easily the captain at the 20 second mark, "Here we go."

No comments:

Post a Comment