Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Poolies Watch- New Sports Awards

Today we unveil two new categories for the Quiet Pool Television Awards. The second annual Poolies will be granted with the Award for the Best Sports Talk Show and the Award for the Best Sports Talk Personality.

I have yet to come up with a name for the Best Sports Talk Show Award because I can't think of any shows of this type that are retired. There will be five shows nominated and it will be these five. I'm pretty sure these are the only good sports talk shows out there, although a recent list I saw ranked The Sports Reporters as the best ESPN program of all time. You kidding me?

Best Sports Talk Show

Around the Horn
First and Ten
Mike and Mike in the Morning
Pardon the Interruption
Sports Nation

Here's where it gets tricky. I'm thinking of naming the Best Sports Talk Personality Award after Craig Kilborn. He was never on a sports talk show, but he did host SportsCenter and then went on to host his own late night talk show, so I think it's good enough. He was my favorite SportsCenter host back in the day and one of my favorites of all time.

Stat Boy is easily the front runner to get my first place vote. Just as Seinfeld says "George is like a school girl around him," speaking of Dan Cortese's guest spot as Tony, I feel the same watching Tony Reali beat up the contestants on Around the Horn. Just like Costanza's dream friend, Stat Boy is "such a cool guy."

At the Top
Mike Greenberg- Mike and Mike
Tony Kornheiser- PTI
Tony Reali- ATH and PTI

In for Now
Jay Mariotti- ATH
Mark Schlereth- Mike and Mike
Michelle Beadle- Sports Nation
Mike Golic- Mike and Mike
Scott Van Pelt- SVP Show
Skip Bayless- 1st and 10
Woody Paige- ATH

Outside Looking In
Bill Plaschke- ATH
Colin Cowherd- Sports Nation
Erik Kuselias- Mike and Mike
J.A. Adande- ATH
Jim Rome- JR is Burning
Michael Wilbon- PTI
Tim Cowlishaw- ATH

Who does everyone else like? Anyone I'm missing? Any suggestions for a name of the first one?

No comments:

Post a Comment