Wednesday, May 26, 2010

American Idol- Crystal Clear

I came into last night's season finale of American Idol wanting to leave thinking that I didn't care who won. When it was all sang and done, I couldn't come to that conclusion. Although I will probably listen to the type of music Lee will make out in the real world, Crystal just destroyed him in this one on one competition. Yeah I thought she was better than entire season, but MamaSox just capped it all off with a vocal beat down tonight.

Having said that, I don't think Lee was nearly as terrible as Idol critic Dan Fienberg seemed to think...

I don't think Lee DeWyze hit a single note in that version of "Everybody Hurts."Wed May 26 00:23:49 via TweetDeck


So Lee destroys another perfectly good song and *Kara* is the only judge who dares to criticize him.Wed May 26 00:43:54 via TweetDeck

He sounded fine to me, just not in any way comparable to what Crystal did. She came back with what was the best performance of the season in Me and Bobby McGee. I literally stopped downloading any songs from this season after she did that, because everything seemed like garbage compared to it. They really could have stopped the competition right then and said, well Crystal wins.

But then she came out with a completely different vibe in Black Velvet, which executive producer Simon Fuller chose. Someone should tell the head honcho to give up making picks as I believe both of his choices tonight were pretty bad for these contestants. Crystal made hers works a lot more than Lee.

Because The Boxer might have been Lee's best of the season, the final round was what made this thing a KO for Crystal. I was very familiar with Beautiful Day, and became painfully familiar with how uninspiring Lee was in performing it about half way in. Crystal, on the other hand, did a song I had never heard of, Up to the Mountain. What a way to go out! It was so moving in its tenderness. She went out the way she came into this competition. Just her and her guitar.

After Adam Lambert lost last season's finale to Kris Allen, I don't think I could gear myself up for really wanting someone to win that badly again. Even though I think Crystal deserves to win this thing as much as any season's winner ever has, I won't be disappointed if she loses. If Lambert can come in second, it's not that big of a deal anymore.

Having said that, I think Crystal will win tonight. She's been the best throughout and she is not polarizing at all. Lambert was clearly hated by a lot of people, and because of that people voted against him by voting for Kris. I don't see that happening with Crystal.

Anyway, this has been a very lackluster season of Idol. Whether it was a terribly lame group of contestants, the structure of Idol getting a bit repetitive, or the fact that I loathe the judges, it just didn't do it for me at all after the first couple weeks of the top 12. Here's hoping X-Factor will be just the kick in the pants we need to make one of the two shows good again.

No comments:

Post a Comment